I spent over 6 months researching DEI companies, projects,
by krudler (2024-01-04 10:39:00)
Edited on 2024-01-04 10:42:41

In reply to: Follow Mark CUban on Twitter and he posted about DEI  posted by wpkirish

implementations, methodologies, theories, and tangential industries. This was one of my main projects during that time. What my team concluded is that there are minimal companies or groups doing it well, and most companies were simply doing this to check the box because of the ridiculous ESG standards that were being pushed at the time. Feedback from EEs was that it generally was 1) not helpful 2) basic human decency you either have by the time you're employed or don't because you're a bad person who most likely would be fired for something else anyway and 3) demeaning or blaming. As time has passed and the initial exuberance over DEI has faded many companies are scaling back significantly or simply not taking on any services that cost additional money. The market is speaking and many of these companies that originally have gotten VC money are going belly up and in-house DEI is being de-emphasized. Equity as a concept is generally not congruent with running a functional meritocracy in business (to the extent businesses are even run as meritocracies anymore).

Much like some principles of communism, DEI sounds better than it actually is.

Replies: