Here’s a good rundown of why Hoover failed (link)
by sprack (2024-01-16 19:33:56)
Edited on 2024-01-16 19:38:52

In reply to: Should we rank the politicians that won?  posted by EricCartman

And in some ways made the Depression worse despite good intentions. A lot of it had to do with Hoover’s intransigence and some really bad decisions, such as signing the Smoot-Hawley Act into law.

Hoover was hopelessly naive.
by Revue Party  (2024-01-16 23:19:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

He didn't understand how government worked. He had zero leadership skills.

He thought business was going to bail him out. I also don't think he supported Smoot. I think he just packed the balls to veto it.

And to EC's post, I think Trump is below need improvement. Though you could argue that by outsourcing all legislation to McConnell things got done. But like Hoover, he didn't know how government worked and outside riling up his base he zero leadership skills.

Back to Hoover, Coolidge almost predicted exactly exactly how the depression played out. With his lowest predicted marks for Hoover.

Your first sentence is the key to all of it
by sprack  (2024-01-17 11:14:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

He didn’t understand how government worked. And as a businessman, he thought he knew better.

He was a benevolent, non-charismatic, Constitution-respecting, boring Trump.

Ross Perot would have been just as bad.