I will never understand anyone’s attraction to this guy (link)
by sprack (2024-01-19 14:32:48)
Edited on 2024-01-19 14:37:03

He’s the very definition of an empty suit. Nice slap at Nikki Haley who first appointed him to the Senate.

Yes, I was disappointed to see this. *
by G.K.Chesterton  (2024-01-19 17:53:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

As was I *
by El Kabong  (2024-01-19 18:02:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

He's clearly angling for the VP pick
by Queensman  (2024-01-19 16:37:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

He's showing that he can easily betray someone that helped him advance his career...in his home state...to kneel down and kiss the ring. If he can do that, he'll happily stab anyone in the back to fall in line with whatever ridiculous thing Trump says or does.

That's the one and only trait Trump is looking for in a running mate, and I think this puts him at the top of the list. He'll also take a back seat at any time.

He'd never pick someone like Haley as his running mate. She's a smart woman who can be tough. That would intimidate Trump and make him feel even more insecure than he is.

If that is the case is like 125th in line and no where near
by wpkirish  (2024-01-19 18:23:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

the sycophant that Elise Stefanik or a host of others are.

Add him to the list of officials I dont understand doing this. He won with 62% of the vote last time He has had one election where he received less than 50% of the vote and that was his first Congressional Primary with 9 candidates including Strom Thrumond's youngest child.

Anyone who still thinks this is no longer a MAGA party or Trump's party is sadly mistaken. I am not certain at this point how you break the spell when they till cant even admit he lost in 2020.

Stefanik is a good example of the metaphorical pod person
by ravenium  (2024-01-19 20:30:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

I say in jest, but watching the conversion from young rising star Republican in a competitive district to trump sycophant in a (safe-ish?) Red district.

I get the weaseling to stay in good graces, even if I'd rather retire than do such a thing. But the full throated embrace from someone who theoretically knows better? That's the worst, in my mind.

Her trajectory is disappointing.
by 88_92WSND  (2024-01-20 12:53:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

When she was first elected, she appeared to be someone who was conservative on what mattered, without being an absolutist on the 'culture war' topics - one of the few/early LGBT advocates (not just keep her mouth shut), criticized the pull from Paris, spoke out against the 'Muslim' travel ban. Nothing big, but it seemed like she was her own person. Willing to see benefit in some of the positions of her opponents, and to see fault in some of the positions of her side.

Then she went full "Trump" - not just go along/get along Trump, but "the difference between ass kissing and brown nosing is depth perception" Trump. Sucks.

These are the consequences for living in a bubble.
by TJK1998  (2024-01-20 15:10:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

She's surrounded by people telling her she's doing the right thing and, certainly, she's been rewarded for her behavior. So the feedback loop is telling her to keep it up.

She can't see what we see. Or perhaps that is giving her too much credit.

I think you're right
by 88_92WSND  (2024-01-20 15:20:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

I've met her, briefly. Gave very much the impression of 'doing this for the game' vs 'doing this for the constituents/country'. And I don't think that's something you can dig out of -- because either your constituents yank you for changing course OR you get nailed for flip flopping. Once you're in the mud, the stains stick around.

She’s Albert Speer
by sprack  (2024-01-19 22:00:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

An opportunist who knows better.

Trump has buried the idea of Godwin’s Law. Anyone who objects to the Nazi comparisons can go take a hike as far as I’m concerned. It’s complete parallel.

Yes where the fan cult is concerned, no where the Leader
by sorin69  (2024-01-20 07:46:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

is concerned. On the former, anyone who has watched the fan cult at the Fuehrer's height gets a familiar creepy feeling seeing films of Trump rallies. They want the same red meat: vengeance against their perceived enemies. On the latter: yeah, Hitler was lazy too, but he had an ideology and a messianic mission to purge the world of racial threats to Aryan blood. Trump's messiahship is just narcissism writ large. For all the love of military hardware and pomp, he seems little interested in an actual war.

The primary is his election
by AquinasDomer  (2024-01-19 19:02:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

If he sides with Trump he has a 100% chance of winning. If he opposes Trump he might have to leave the senate.

Their last chance to firewall Trump was the impeachment vote. The only way we remove Teump as a threat is to vote for Biden.

As I said when McCarthy was giving up everything to become
by wpkirish  (2024-01-20 02:05:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Speaker toward what end? If you dont agree with these ideas what benefit is having the office and being beholden to them? As a Dem the frustrating part is we still hear people say they cant vote for Biden because he is beholden to the left wing of the party.

That ended so well for the last guy. *
by Revue Party  (2024-01-19 17:13:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

I didn't know much about Tim Scott until the debates....
by Marine Domer  (2024-01-19 14:55:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

but thought he performed well. This sinks him for me. You want to sell yourself to Donald Trump for political advantage, I want nothing to do with you. And make no mistake, this is not philosophical. This is a sell out in the hopes or promise that he'll get something in return. Enjoy that knife in the back when it comes, Senator. I assure you, it will come.

This is where I stand
by acrossdmiddle  (2024-01-19 22:07:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

I’m very disappointed. I didn’t love him as a candidate but I respected him. This move makes it hard for me to do that any longer.

Yes -- he's dead to me. *
by Milhouse  (2024-01-19 17:56:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

They know Trump is the nominee
by AquinasDomer  (2024-01-19 14:55:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Anyone who doesn't fall in line soon is going to have Trump coming after them in short order. Scott wants to stay in office.

The collective cowardice of the GOP is staggering.
by Revue Party  (2024-01-19 17:13:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

They should replace the elephant with a chicken.

Yep.
by NDBass  (2024-01-19 16:36:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

I imagine Haley will get in line once she gets her head out of the sand. Either that or she'll essentially be retiring from politics.

Things might get ugly for her in South Carolina
by AquinasDomer  (2024-01-19 17:13:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Trump can make the 2000 primary look like a walk in the park.

It’s high time to use one of those stilettos
by acrossdmiddle  (2024-01-19 22:11:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Put it right in Trump’s fruit stand.

More likely
by AquinasDomer  (2024-01-19 22:38:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

She endorses him after losing South Carolina by 40 to 50%.

The knives are out.... (link)
by Angel  (2024-01-19 20:42:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Fabrizio memo/poll is out
by AquinasDomer  (2024-01-19 22:38:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Trump 64% Haley 25% DeSantis 8%. Also finds most DeSantis voters prefer Trump to Haley and Trump's support is far more enthusiastic than Haley's.

"BOTTOM LINE: President Trump is set to deliver a South Carolina smackdown to Nikki Haley in her home state where she is best known."