New Orioles ownership!!!
by Cartwright (2024-01-31 16:20:00)

There’s only one thing left to do….Win the whole fucking thing.

A Corbin Burnes to BAL rumor just showed up on Twitter,
by G.K.Chesterton  (2024-02-01 20:14:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

from Ken Rosenthal no less.

Roger Dorn?!
by sprack  (2024-02-05 10:29:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Oh wait, that was Corbin Bernsen.

Never mind.

I was already elated when Aaron Hicks signed with the Angels
by Slotts  (2024-02-02 09:16:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

so we didn't have to put up with him anymore. This is just icing on the cake.

No Hicks slander
by Cartwright  (2024-02-02 10:32:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He came up big when Mullins was hurt. Glad to see them move on from him and Frazier, though. Good sign.

You're getting soft. While he had a nice run of a few weeks
by Slotts  (2024-02-02 14:15:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

when he first arrived, he was awful in the field and then didn't hit much after those few weeks. It made me wonder how the Yankees stuck with him for so long.

I didn't want him back, but I thought he was fine.
by stedsman  (2024-02-02 22:21:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not really the ideal person I would want to have manning a corner OF slot in the playoffs, but as Cartwright said, he was serviceable filling in for Mullins. And he had a helluva day at the plate in Game 2 of the ALDS (yes, I know he was partly responsible for the Game 1 loss, although nobody hit that game).

Dan Connolly believes this is the biggest trade that the O's have done in over 30 years. I guess in terms of the pitcher they are getting, he's right. I also think of Bonilla in 96 (helped get them to ALCS). And certainly the Glenn Davis for Schilling/Harnisch/etc. is more famous but for the wrong reasons.

Surely the Bedard trade was bigger
by Cartwright  (2024-02-03 11:54:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

since Adam Jones is an Orioles Hall of Famer and Chris Tillman was very solid for several years. Though not if they win the Series this year and/or they’re able to sign Burnes longterm.

A lesser trade that I’ve always loved is when they got Melvin Mora from the Mets for Mike Bordick and then resigned Bordick that offseason.

You're right, the Bordick trade and resigning was nice. You
by Slotts  (2024-02-08 16:42:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

are probably too young, but the 10 player deal with the Yankees in the mid 70s was pretty nice.

Yeah, got a few key guys
by Cartwright  (2024-02-09 15:38:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

for the late-70’s-to-early-80’s run in that trade.

Bordick was a fun defensive player to watch.
by voidoid  (2024-02-08 17:37:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If his career hadn’t coincided with Vizquel’s fifty-odd consecutive Gold Gloves he might have won a few himself.

And here....we....go *
by stedsman  (2024-02-01 23:09:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Wow, great move and didn't give up any of the big prospects *
by BmoreIrish  (2024-02-01 22:13:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That was noticed on a Brewers emergency podcast
by G.K.Chesterton  (2024-02-02 13:05:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

recorded last night by some local beat reporters. Ironically, with four picks in the top 80 and 6-7 of the top 100 prospects, one of the reporters said the Brewers are trying to become the Orioles!

I saw one site give the Orioles an "A" or "A-" and the Brewers a "C". Time will tell.

They are still good prospects
by BmoreIrish  (2024-02-02 13:12:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Just not the elite guys we have.

Ortiz will be a good glove man at the very least. Question is how well he hits in the MLB - good AAA numbers but scouts seem to question how it will translate. He's an older prospect but he's ready. Seems like a great guy, I will be rooting for him.

Hall is more of the wildcard. He might end up being a gem or he might flame out. I do think at the very least he will be a useful reliever. Definitely a question of whether he has the control to start, but the talent is clearly there.

This was not an overpay by the Orioles but the guys they gave up are not throw-aways either. Both have a shot to be good players and are MLB-ready.

If Burnes pitches Opening Day, he lines up to pitch the
by G.K.Chesterton  (2024-02-02 14:44:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

finale when the Brewers come to Baltimore in April, according to the same podcast. (That would be Sunday, April 14.)

I would guess Bradish is the Opening Day starter
by BmoreIrish  (2024-02-02 15:14:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Could be wrong, but usually they defer to the incumbent.

I'll bet it is Burnes. * *
by Slotts  (2024-02-02 15:35:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

No doubt. *
by the hibernian  (2024-02-02 20:50:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Nice bit of business *
by Cartwright  (2024-02-01 20:42:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This is a big deal
by BmoreIrish  (2024-02-01 11:33:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It was becoming clear that the Angelos family was unwilling to spend money on the team. To their credit, they did make a great hire in Elias and allowed him to improve the infrastructure of the organization. However, you just got the sense that they were only looking to maximize revenue even as the team is getting good.

I'm not expecting the new guy to spend like crazy, nor do I think he should. We will be at our best with a healthy farm system and supplementing with good (but not big-name) free agent additions. Maintaining payroll flexibility should still be a goal. Still, a guy like Sonny Gray or Eduardo Rodriguez, who went for reasonable numbers of years and AAV, would have added a lot to this team.

Rubenstein's #1 objective though needs to be to keep Elias and stay out of his way.

FREE AT LAST, FREE AT LAST
by stedsman  (2024-01-31 16:54:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"Man, I am so devastated about the Rav-"

(checks social media on Tuesday night)

"Sorry, who is Lamar Jackson again? Never heard of him"

Now, David, about those extensions for Adley and Gunnar......

Let's not get carried away....
by Slotts  (2024-02-01 09:18:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

he is a Dukie after all.