RIP Whitey Herzog (link)
by sprack (2024-04-16 12:32:55)
Edited on 2024-04-16 12:33:22

RIP Fritz Peterson
by Charlie Hough  (2024-04-17 17:56:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Who in 1973 swapped families - wives and children - with teammate Mike Kekich.

Peterson and Kekich were lucky to live past that swap in '73
by Father Nieuwland  (2024-04-18 11:45:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I know it was a different (and hairier) time, but if their wives had killed them it would have been justifiable homicide.

I think the news story said Peterson remained married to the former Mrs Kekich since the trade, but the pairing of Kekich and the former Mrs Peterson did not last.

Neat story told by Vin Scully (link)
by Go_Crazy_Folks  (2024-04-16 21:15:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The White Rat
by Irishted  (2024-04-16 20:09:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As a seven-year-old boy living in St Louis, the 1982 season cemented my baseball allegiance forever.

RIP.

very distinctive style
by jt  (2024-04-17 14:01:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

speed, defense, and pitching, with the occasional Jack Clark 3 run bomb mixed in. I recall that stadium just being huge, and they certainly took advantage of that turf. Vince Coleman was a real weapon.

RIP Carl Erskine also
by sprack  (2024-04-16 15:52:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Great pitcher for the Brooklyn Dodgers, 97 years old.

I assume he was the last of The Boys of Summer
by Father Nieuwland  (2024-04-16 16:04:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The "catching up with" Erskine part of Roger Kahn's classic is touching - Erskine and his wife devoting their lives to their son Jimmy who had Down Syndrome.

Jimmy died last fall. I'm going to guess these last six months were the only days in the last 60 years Carl did not worry how his son would be after he died.

He was the last, yes
by sprack  (2024-04-16 17:21:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He seemed like one great guy, as you allude.

I didn't know that about Erskine.
by G.K.Chesterton  (2024-04-16 16:12:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Now I have to check the book out and yes, the NY Times obit calls him the last of The Boys of Summer.

it's an outstanding book
by jt  (2024-04-16 16:49:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and keep in mind that I hate the Dodgers with my entire being.

I agree that the Erskine part was compelling. I enjoyed the catching up part of the book more than the playing days part.

I thought it was just okay.
by tdiddy07  (2024-04-16 21:01:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It had its moments, and I agree that that was a highlight of the book. But it’s two books melded together. And each was just okay to me. I try to read one baseball book every spring. I had fairly high hopes for this one. But this was down the list for me. I thought Summer of ‘49 to be much better storytelling as a more direct comparison of the first half of Kahn’s book. Otherwise, I’d take collections of Angel, Plimpton, and others as more compelling collections of vignettes. It’s perhaps unfair to compare it to Ball Four, but I would recommend that much before Kahn’s.

Next year I might pick up something by the Spaceman. That should be interesting.

if you like Ball Four
by jt  (2024-04-17 13:59:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'd recommend "the Bronx Zoo" by Sparky Lyle about the 1978 Yankees.

Thanks. I'll add it to the list. *
by tdiddy07  (2024-04-18 09:10:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Ball Four was better
by sprack  (2024-04-17 16:41:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I was never enamored of Peter Golenbock's writing. The guy couldn't even spell players' names correctly.

The second funniest baseball book ever written was "I'm Gald You Didn't Take it Personally".

Oh, I think that Ball Four is the gold standard
by jt  (2024-04-17 16:59:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

there were just a lot of funny anecdotes in Bronx Zoo, which is made even funnier with some basic understanding of what a strange cat Lyle was in real life (sitting naked on birthday cakes, as an example).

The advice he shares about (and I paraphrase) chasing girls is actually kind of accurate, in a crude sense. "Every time you want to chase girls, jack off and throw a 5 dollar bill in the trunk of your car. At the end of the year, you'll have a lot of money and you'll have had a better year playing ball."

I still recall Schultz, Talbot & Pepitone stories from...
by Scoop80  (2024-04-17 17:18:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"Ball Four" to this day. I recall Lyle saying that Reggie went "oh for Anaheim," but I don't recall that much from his book. Some of that may be b/c I had a paper copy of "Ball Four" that I wore out, while I borrowed "Bronx Zoo" from a sectionmate who had it.

My favorite line about Lyle was Nettles saying that he went "From Cy Young to Sayonara" after the NYY acquired Gossage.

EDIT: I still recall Talbot reacting to getting roughed up by the '69 O's. He said: "We got no business scheduling these guys. This club sure can fluff up your ERA."
Talbot getting served w/ a (fake) paternity suit was another classic.

And of course you recall Joe Schultz's two favorite words
by sprack  (2024-04-17 17:54:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My buddy Murph and I often greet each other on the phone with "Hiya, Blondie, how's your old tomato?"

Ah, but his sitting on birthday cakes
by sprack  (2024-04-17 17:14:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

is topped by Doug Rader in "I'm Glad You Didn't Take it Personally".

I do agree, the Bronx Zoo was an entertaining book and it was also interesting to read Lyle's views on pitching.

I wish they made a movie of it, because Sam Elliott would be perfect casting for Lyle. Practically the same mustache, and if you ever heard Sparky talk, paractically the same voice. He used to do commercials for Levi Garrett chewing tobacco, fit perfectly.

An 8th grade classmate laughed so hard that he literally...
by Scoop80  (2024-04-17 17:22:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

got red in the face after reading the Rader birthday cake story. We were in a free reading period at the end of a school day. The teacher took notice and asked the guy to hand him the book and the passage that he found so hysterical.

As a kid, I enjoyed Gaylord Perry's book.
by G.K.Chesterton  (2024-04-16 23:08:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It wasn't hard reading but as someone in grade school, there were some good adult lessons in the book. I'll never forget the part where, with his signing bonus, he paid off his dad's long-running tab at the general store/bar in rural North Carolina. It brought his dad to tears.

There's also great stories about him loading up.

“I see the boys of summer in their ruin”
by Father Nieuwland  (2024-04-16 22:31:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The Boys of Summer isn’t really a baseball book - it’s a character study masquerading as a sports book.

When I was a kid playing ball myself I liked the parts about
by Father Nieuwland  (2024-04-16 17:07:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the seasons better.

Well, that and the parts about young Roger watching the maid take a bath.

I think you have to have left a past of your own behind to appreciate the book's second half looking at their different ways of moving on.

I guess I was the opposite
by jt  (2024-04-16 18:04:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I was 12 when I first read it in 1987. I found the stuff on Joe Black and Carl Furillo particularly interesting.

I remember the Furillo chapter particularly well
by sprack  (2024-04-16 18:13:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The “Reading Rifle” was a construction worker at the World Trade Center when Kahn interviewed him, and was kind of bitter, feeling forgotten.

No kind of about it
by jt  (2024-04-17 14:00:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

completely bitter.

Sad tale, he brought a lot of it on himself.

We had a similar view of that book as kids *
by Scoop80  (2024-04-16 17:44:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

RIP Ken Holtzman.
by G.K.Chesterton  (2024-04-16 13:26:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Things I didn't know or forgot.

* Winningest Jewish pitcher of all-time.
* Homered in the 1974 World Series (the bat boy at the plate is apparently MC Hammer), picking up three rings with the A's.

The link below has a very good write-up on Holtzman.

And threw 2 no-hitters for the Cubs
by sprack  (2024-04-16 13:27:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The one vs the Braves, where as the article says is that last no-hitter to date with no strikeouts, was ended by a great catch by Billy Williams on a long fly ball by (I think) Hank Aaron, that looked like it was leaving the yard.

I was at the first one with grandpa. It must have been
by rick  (2024-04-16 17:16:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Senior Citizen Day.

20,000 tickets for sale on day of game--a Brickhouse line...
by Scoop80  (2024-04-16 17:43:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

on every broadcast then.

I bet no one knows who the last member of the '69 Cubs was to wear a MLB uniform was. It was fairly recent.

Oh! Oh! I know this one!
by sprack  (2024-04-16 18:07:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

No, it was not Randy Bobb, it was The Vulture, Phil Regan, who was still coaching on the Mets staff up until a few years ago.

Correct--he was their interim pitching coach in '19...
by Scoop80  (2024-04-16 20:23:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They had fired their pitching coach in about May that year. IIRC, he was 82 yo. I recall seeing him make a few mound visits during a Met game here.

I recall them both...
by Scoop80  (2024-04-16 15:59:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

IIRC, I saw the end of the first 1 w/ Cub fan cousins at Grand Beach. One can argue that their epic fold started w/ Jenkins losing to Braves next day. That loss started a 2-7 slide that was briefly righted by a 5 game win streak followed by a 1-11 stretch in which Mets passed them for good.

We better steal like ten bases tonight in his honor. *
by Go_Crazy_Folks  (2024-04-16 13:06:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post