ND's 2018 men's LAX schedule finally announced (edited 1/4)
by ShermanOaksND (2017-11-29 18:30:50)
Edited on 2018-01-04 19:02:35

12 regular season games, same as last year. Richmond was the only game that I hadn't seen from other teams' schedules. All times Eastern.

Sat, Jan 27 -- AIR FORCE (exhibition)

Sun. Feb. 11 -- DETROIT, 1 pm
Sat. Feb. 24 -- RICHMOND, 1 pm
Sat. Mar. 3 -- at Maryland, 1 pm
Sat. Mar. 10 -- DENVER, 2:30 pm, ESPNU
Sat. Mar. 17 -- VIRGINIA, 6 pm, ESPNU
Wed. Mar. 21 -- MICHIGAN, 4 pm
Sun. Mar. 25 -- at Ohio State, noon
Sat. Mar. 31 -- at Syracuse, 5 pm, ESPNU
Sat. Apr. 7 -- DUKE, 4 pm, ESPNU
Wed. Apr. 11 -- at Marquette, 7 pm
Sat. Apr. 21 -- at North Carolina, noon, ESPNU
April 27-29 -- ACC Tournament at Virginia, ESPNU
Sat. May 5 -- ARMY, 1 pm

While the ACC takes forever to release the schedules, ...
by hoomanbeing  (2017-12-06 16:13:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

they usually don't change the weekend of previous years' games. For example, UVa usually plays Syracuse the weekend closest to March 1. It's been that way for 20+ years that we've played them. The game has been moved around within the weekend to accommodate ESPN, UVa basketball games, and other random reasons, but Greensboro has kept it on that weekend, even after they joined the ACC.

We can predict the slots for the ACC games
by ShermanOaksND  (2017-12-07 17:36:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And Ohio State's schedule went up today -- ND plays in Columbus in the usual slot, albeit this time on a Sunday, March 25. At least two more OOC games figure to be scheduled.

This is how it would look with predicted ACC games in italics.

Sat. Mar. 3 -- at Maryland
Sat. Mar. 10 -- DENVER
March 17 or 18 -- VIRGINIA
Wed. Mar. 21 -- MICHIGAN
Sun. Mar. 25 -- at Ohio State, noon
Mar. 31 or Apr. 1 -- at Syracuse
Apr. 7 or 8 -- DUKE

Wed. Apr. 11 -- at Marquette
April 21 or 22 -- at North Carolina
April 27 and 29 -- ACC Tournament

Sat. May 5 -- ARMY

I think you're right about weekend of 3/17-18 vs. UVa
by hoomanbeing  (2017-12-18 16:34:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

None of the UVa OOC games are in that slot based on the schedules the other schools have released. BTW the ACC has released Syracuse's schedule. They have ND @ Cuse listed as 3/31, 5 PM. Link is to Cuse board's schedule thread.

Per email from Coach Tiffany - UVa @ ND 3/17, 6 PM. *
by hoomanbeing  (2017-12-20 22:38:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That's only 10 games plus the ACC tourney
by tf86  (2017-12-10 14:19:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I would hope that we'd schedule at least 1-2 more. As it stands, there would be an opening for the weekend of April 14/15, and I suppose we could add a game for the weekend of February 24/25 as well.

Why so few games? *
by El Kabong  (2017-12-14 17:04:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Dunno, I would hope they add more
by tf86  (2017-12-15 13:23:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

OOC scheduling is pretty important in men's lacrosse. We already have a pretty tough OOC schedule, including Maryland, Denver, Ohio State and Marquette (3 of 4 of those on the road), but I think we need a few more games in our schedule.

Detroit just confirmed it will be at ND on February 11
by ShermanOaksND  (2017-12-15 19:10:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That's a natural; we should play them most or all years. With the opener that early (I think it's ND's earliest-ever home opener), I expect 2 more February games to be announced before the schedule is final. That would give us 1 more game than in 2017.

That's good news
by tf86  (2017-12-18 10:34:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Only drawback is that if Detroit winds up with the MAAC's AQ bid in the tourney, they are our likely first-round opponent for geographic reasons.

Perhaps Cleveland State would be a good opponent to add for a home game. It would be a bus trip for them, they did surprising well for a first-year program (RPI in the low 40's, IIRC) and as an independent, right now they have no path to speak of to the NCAA tournament.

Dunno, I would hope they add more
by tf86  (2017-12-15 12:54:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

OOC scheduling is pretty important in men's lacrosse. We already have a pretty tough OOC schedule, including Maryland, Denver, Ohio State and Marquette (3 of 4 of those on the road), but I think we need a few more games in our schedule.

I'd expect ND to add 2 February games
by ShermanOaksND  (2017-12-12 12:36:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That weekend of April 14-15 is possible, but ND has kept that slot between Marquette and UNC open the last few years.

By the way, I just learned that in 2019, the ACC will expand its conference tournament to two weekends. The first weekend (where the tournament presently is held), there will be a 5-4 game, with the winner playing the 1 seed and 3 playing 2. The winners of those games will play for the championship the following weekend at the home of the higher-seeded team, on the first weekend in May.

In addition, the Patriot League will be moving its conference tournament back one week to early May. That move, plus the ACC's, mean ND won't be playing Army to finish the regular season anymore. That's too bad, because I was thinking of making a trip to West Point in May 2019.

Unfortunately, this means

That seems really weird. They are going to burn up
by steelhop  (2018-01-25 12:58:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

two weekends to accomodate the tournament. They should just play a Tuesday - Friday - Sunday.

Interestingly, the Patriot League has a 6-team
by tf86  (2017-12-13 13:13:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Conference tournament, yet does it all in one week.

3 vs. 6 and 4 vs. 5 on Wednesday. 3-6 winner vs. 2 and 4-5 winner vs. 1 on Friday. Winners of Friday's games on Sunday.

I suspect the ACC could do something like that if it were so inclined.

I can see why the Patriot League moved their conference tourney, perhaps. Since the ACC and the Patriot League were the only conferences that finished up their conference tourneys early, the final week of the regular season had to feature ACC vs. Patriot matchups (it doesn't make much sense to have a conference game AFTER the conference tourney). Since there are only five ACC teams and nine Patriot League teams, that meant that a minimum of four Patriot League teams would be out of luck for the final weekend. I suppose they could round out the schedule with Division I independents as opponents, but two of those teams (NJIT and Hampton) are among the dregs of Division I men's lacrosse currently. Further, while this is only an educated guess on my part, I believe the ranks of the independents will be further depleted in 2019. St. Bonaventure adds men's lacrosse that year, and I believe that move will entail the Atlantic 10 beginning to sponsor men's lacrosse. Fwiw, the A-10 will then have four members (UMass, Richmond, St. Joe's and St. Bonaventure) competing in men's lacrosse. By comparison, the Southern Conference has only three full members playing men's lacrosse (Furman, Mercer and VMI), yet it sponsors men's lacrosse.

The Michigan game is on my birthday
by flanner96  (2017-12-06 14:07:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Slaughtering Michigan would be an awesome present.

Thanks - I have put the MU game on my calendar (4 p.m.). *
by G.K.Chesterton  (2017-12-01 00:14:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post