Broke my streak today
by El Kabong (2024-04-23 15:11:01)

In reply to: What's up with Wordle lately?  posted by melanzana

Had the second, fourth, and fifth letter by the third guess.

Blew through the rest of my guesses. Had four letters on the last one.

Is that euphemistic code? *
by PWK2  (2024-04-23 18:28:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Same thing (spoiler) ...
by CJC  (2024-04-23 15:18:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My stubbornness bit me in the ass.

Instead doing what they suggest and utilizing a word that incorporates as many of the letters that would work as possible (even though doing that almost always involves using a word that can't be the word), I kept thinking I was going to solve the puzzle on my next guess.

And rover goes against my natural inclination to guess a redundant letter.

And when you play in difficult mode...
by El Kabong  (2024-04-23 15:41:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...you can't guess random words that don't contain the letters you already got.

Sorry i guess it's difficult not hardcore mode
by AIRBORNEIRISH  (2024-04-23 15:54:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That is what I was trying to say. I can't remember the prompt but I got all but the first letter on MY FIRST GUESS a few months ago and still got it wrong. Nearly rage quit ever playing again.

Potato, potahto *
by El Kabong  (2024-04-23 16:14:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Got it in four but
by ufl  (2024-04-23 15:34:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

When I miss, it is often because of the tendency you mention. I fail to take into account the possibility of a second use of the an already successfully guessed letter.

Guess 4, 5, and 6 were all one letter off
by Shifty  (2024-04-23 15:27:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Sometimes you are left with multiple options for a single letter and it is a a guessing game.

Today I lost that guessing game.

Yep ...
by CJC  (2024-04-23 15:32:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and I suppose the better strategy if the objective is to avoid coming up craps is to formulate a guess that incorporates as many of the potential "last letters" as possible, even though that guess could not be the correct word.

My objective is to guess the word in as few guess as possible, so I'm loathe to "waste" a guess with the above strategy. Today, it cost me.

I never guess a throwaway to find out missing letters *
by Shifty  (2024-04-23 16:00:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post