Why do people play difficult/hard mode?
by OrangeJubilee (2024-04-23 16:31:18)

In reply to: What's up with Wordle lately?  posted by melanzana

And why is it called that? It seems like it should be called stupid mode.

If there are 3* or greater mutually exclusive answers, the smart thing to do is guess as many of those letters as possible. The wordlebot guesses known wrong words all the time.

The worst is when you are down to what you think are only 2 possibilities. You definitely should guess 1 of them then the other ... only to realize you didn't think of the third possibility.

I got both today and Sunday in 6.

* If you KNOW it is only 3, and you have three guesses left, doing it either way yields the same expected outcome I think. But doing the known wrong word also gives protection if there was another option you didn't think of.

I feel angst over submitting a guess I know is wrong
by bizdomer09  (2024-04-23 16:50:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

So I play on hard mode, but take a beat now and then because of it. You're right... if the goal were to maximize chances of getting the word in 6 or fewer, one would turn off hard mode and strategically use guesses to go fishing on occasion. And I agree... that approach would require a bit more strategy and skill than just coming up with a guess that fits the information gained so far.

I do think it's possible for a skilled player to get it right every single time with hard mode turned off. I don't think that's possible with it on.

I agree, the bot has never missed. I’ve only missed a few
by OrangeJubilee  (2024-04-23 19:33:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The bot is a perfectly strategic player. I think in 700 rounds I’ve missed 3, and 3 for just forgetting to do it. I am not the best player, so I think perfection is possible.