I don't broadcast that I graduated from ND, however
by SCOTTSDALE (2018-08-15 19:58:24)

years ago my now 90 year old mother gave me a set of ND headcovers for my golf clubs. Those are always on my clubs and occasionally invite questions or comments from my competitors on the course. I've never had a negative comment. Most people are just curious about ND.
Today was the second day of a home and home event we stage yearly with another club here in the White Mountains of Arizona. Our club was the host club today so I drove the cart. The fellow who rode with me was pretty low key and quite congenial. We had a grand time throughout the round while playing some very average golf.
As we were putting our drivers back into our bags after teeing off on the 18th hole my rider asked me what my connection was to Notre Dame. I replied that I graduated many years ago. He then remarked that he had a daughter that graduated in 1995. So I asked the usual questions about her major, her hall, what she was doing. Well he started a very low key narrative about her that led to fact that she was part of the '92 women's swim team and was severely injured in the crash. Steve Scott continued the story of his daughter Haley Scott. I came close to weeping.
It was easy to see where Haley got her character. Steve described her now family and his other children's families. He has a lot of love for them and they for him. He also said he really learned what the phrase "Notre Dame Family" meant.
It was a good day on the golf course.

Replies: