Like I said above. This route and go to Joe’s KC BBQ
by irishguard78 (2018-08-15 22:01:23)
Edited on 2018-08-15 22:02:07

In reply to: if you do that, KC has a million places  posted by irishrock

And don’t let the gas station atmosphere scare you off.

everybody needs to stop with the Joes KC stuff
by irishrock  (2018-08-16 11:30:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's outside of the top 5 in KC...and has no history or culture associated with it. All large bar-b-que joints are factories...they've been living off their name for a good five years now. except for their fries...they're awesome and also way too expensive

Just because you'll ask:
Jack's Stack
Char Bar
Q39
Gates
Irishrock's house
Slap's
Blindbox
Bryant's...if I'm coming from out of town, I'd hit WAY before Joe's because of culture/history. But you have to go to the Brooklyn location which would work. (Food is a major hit or miss spot...sometimes the sandwich is lousy and sometimes the sandwich reminds me of why I love the place)

I respectfully dissent.
by milhouse  (2018-08-16 15:43:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think Joe's is top 5. At the moment, Char Bar and Q39 are at the top of the pile, with Woodyard and Slaps and Joe's right behind them. Gates is a shadow of its former self, as is Bryant's for the exact reason you identify.

Agree, particularly re: Gates and Arthur Bryants *
by Brandon  (2018-08-16 22:24:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Dissent all you want
by irishrock  (2018-08-16 16:39:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Just kidding, Joe’s is very good...I just think overhyped at the moment.

I’m with you on Slap’s, good stuff and feels old school which I like

Which Gates do you go to? I still think it is great 95% of the time. When good, it’s better than most but Char Bar, IMO. They have a platter they call the President Platter...try it with a group sometime. The sausage might be the best item on it

My dream (won’t happen) is to open a bar-b-que joint like a Slaps where I cook a ton of food and serve it and then call it a day when it’s all gone

I used to go to the one at Linwood & Main.
by milhouse  (2018-08-16 16:58:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My meat was always fatty, so I stopped going. Maybe I should give it another shot.

And I agree, Joe's is overhyped right now. There's a right amount of hype for the place, but it gets more than it should at the moment.

I think the burnt ends I had at Char Bar were probably the best I've ever had. Have you tried Smoking Aces? It's very, very good as well.

I have had it and they are good
by irishrock  (2018-08-16 17:26:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Agreed on Char Bar...best burnt ends I’ve ever had. I heard them called Bar-b-cue marshmallows and thought it was appropriate

LC’s...sadly I won’t go back. It used to be great, but I’m afraid that LC might have passed away and his nieces and nephews aren’t running the place well. I used to never step foot inside his joint without him being there...I haven’t seen him there in the last year. I hope I’m wrong