another cord cutting streaming thread!
by cujaysfan (2018-10-16 12:18:58)

mostly looking for anyone who has Hulu vs PSVue compare contrast.

My PSVue - which I've liked - has been creeping up - not long ago I was paying $25/ month - and now it's $50. I like the cloud DVR - but it's super clunky for recording sports - which is probably my main viewing focus.

Hulu live looks like it has all I want channel wise - along with the 50 hour cloud DVR - how is the functionality and stream quality?

Plus - it looks like using their service also includes Hulu subscription and I've been wanting to see American Vandal...

any thoughts appreciated.

How about a Roku?
by 84david  (2018-10-17 10:25:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

BTW, I read this as "steaming thread" at first.

I prefer PSVue
by teachme  (2018-10-16 21:33:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I tried them both out for about a month (along with Directv now). We stream PSVue on the the PS4 and Firesticks. The guide layout for me was the tipping out. It looks and acts like an actual cable/satellite guide.

The two drawbacks are the ability to DVR sports and recently the random pausing of live tv. I hate not being able to record a certain basketball or football game and instead having to try to record ALL the games with that title.

Completely OT
by Wooderson  (2018-10-16 18:27:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I still have the list of XBL gamertags I compiled in like 2006. Anyone still active? One of y'all is Highway15, and is the only one I regularly see online.

Slight Highjack - TV Antenna
by subalumt  (2018-10-16 16:57:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Curious what I might be doing wrong.

To test out cutting the cord I purchased one of those flat inside TV antennas from Amazon.

I tried it out on two different TV's without success(plugging / screwing it into the Antenna In 'jack' on the back of both TV's......connecting the amplifier that came with it.....and plugging the amplifier to the electric outlet jack).

Thoughts on what I might be doing wrong? On the one TV when I tried to change its source, it would not allow me to select "TV". On the second I was able to select the right source but no channels came in.

Appreciate the all wise Back Room input!

The amplifier could be messing it up.
by No Right Turn on Red  (2018-10-16 21:10:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Try it without the amplifier.

Alternatively, do what I did: bend a large paper clip into a loop, plug it into the jack, and see what channels you get after a scan. You might be surprised what a paper clip can pick up.

Your TV will need to have an OTA tuner built in.
by ribs  (2018-10-16 17:14:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think most tvs have them at this point. Once connected, you should find a prompt for the TV to scan for available stations. You will probably have to browse to the setup/settings area for this. The scan can take a few minutes. And if you are within 20 miles of a reasonable metro area, you will get dozens of channels. Most of the them junk, but you can delete the ones you don't want from the scan. Might check the owners manual on your tv. If you don't have it, just google the TV model and it's owner's manual or quick start guide. Shouldn't be too hard to find.

Thank You! *
by subalumt  (2018-10-16 18:04:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hului vs. PSVue
by TheGeneral  (2018-10-16 16:02:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I recently switched from PSVue to Hulu. The reason I switched was that PSVue was often freezing for several seconds at a time. I thought this might be internet related, however, Hulu and Netflix are not doing this. Compared to PSVue, Hulu has its pluses and minuses but overall I like it better.

Specifically, here's what I think:
-At least for me, picture/streaming quality is better with Hulu.

-The price for Hulu is about the same as what I was paying for PSVue but Hulu adds in access to their streaming library as well.

-I find the interface for Hulu a little hard to navigate compared to PSVue. I access it through Fire so it may be different on other platforms.

-For some programs, you cannot fast forward through commercials on DVR unless you pay an extra $15/month for that option. This was an upsetting surprise to me this weekend when I sat down to try to watch an NFL game using that option.

-Using Hulu, you're limited to two devices. This was also a surprise as we had two TVs connected at home and I was on a work trip watching in my hotel room. At home, we had to log out of one of the TVs to get the other working.

I have 5 TVs plus phones and tablets on Hulu *
by veets  (2018-10-16 18:48:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

PSVue
by baronbutler  (2018-10-16 14:11:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I gave up PSVue because the price kept going up, and was planning to try Hulu but it didn't seem to be supported by my newish LG TV. Could I stream the Hulu through the PS4 though? I also found the recording of sports to be somewhat problematic on the PSVue, as whenever I would go to select the game to watch, it would automatically show the score of the game whether it was in progress or finished, which sort of frustrated my purposes.

I don't know if you can stream Hulu through PS4
by raygun  (2018-10-16 15:17:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But, I do know you can stream it through any of the other TV plugins (AppleTV, Roku, FireTV, or Chromecast).

Scores on PSVue
by tommy gee  (2018-10-16 14:38:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I had the same problem with scores showing up on the DVR. I found you can turn the score summary off and now it's no longer annoyingly ruining the games for me.

Isn't American Vandal on Netflix?
by FormerIrishHoya  (2018-10-16 12:32:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Also, thumbs up from me for Youtube TV.

Another thumbs up for YouTubeTV *
by SonofNotreDame  (2018-10-16 18:31:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

is it? dammit! i wanna see that
by cujaysfan  (2018-10-16 12:33:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

who painted the dicks???

Season 2 is good too *
by Siegfried08  (2018-10-16 13:38:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Have used Hulu for over a year now
by raygun  (2018-10-16 12:28:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Overall I have been very happy with it. When we first received it there were some hiccups with the DVR. Some of the shows that were recorded didn't actually record. They seemed to have fixed that now.

I do experience weird issues with live sports sometimes, where the game will be behind where it is in real-time by a few minutes. That might be if we are going into the live channel feed or selecting it from the sports menu though.

The stream quality is nice. Just like Netflix it will sometimes go to a lower quality if your bandwidth isn't sufficient, but that is rare.

how's the functionality?
by cujaysfan  (2018-10-16 12:32:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

about a year ago PSVue switched to a channel guide setup for Roku which I really like - gives the station and programming with the time like cable does

i'm leaning towards a switch next month - thanks for response!

They don't use a channel guide
by raygun  (2018-10-16 12:41:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This might be because they are trying to drive everyone to streaming, or because they figure with search the channel guide is moot.

They way they have implemented it from a live TV standpoint is that I can go into my live TV section and see what is on TV now and next. There isn't the concept of looking at what is on ABC Thursday at 7PM. I'm guessing that is because you basically tell it what you like and it will record it for you so there is no need to plan out your TV viewing schedule.

The only complaint I have about their cloud DVR now is that I can't see across all profiles where there are shows to clean up. I have to go into everyone in the families profile to clear things out.

The good news is that they are still making changes and improvements and I would expect that to happen. For instance, up until about four months ago any time you added a TV show to My Stuff it automatically recorded it whenever it was on. Now they give you more options to choose whether or not to record it and if you record it to only get new episodes.

I actually watch less of the live TV now and do more streaming. The only time we'll watch live TV is for sports or maybe when my parents are over.

i think what you're describing for live tv is what PSVue has
by cujaysfan  (2018-10-16 13:31:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

which is what i like - you can simply see what's on live and next and scroll through for something to put on - or wait until desired programming starts

thanks!