Woody you're out of your element! *
by Porpoiseboy (2018-10-16 17:09:17)

In reply to: More like the Vatican, tbh. *  posted by Wooderson

This user did not provide content for this post

CE could probably back me on this one, though.
by Wooderson  (2018-10-16 18:25:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The Sept of Baelor and the Faith Militant are pretty directly drawn from the Vatican and holy Military Orders.

The King of France didn't have Cersei level nukes though when they took out the Templars.

History does provide the best inspiration for fiction, after all. LotR was inspired by Tolkien's experiences in WW1.

Nope.
by Porpoiseboy  (2018-10-16 20:04:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not debating you. It's just that I was quoting Mars Attacks, which Gozer understood. You were playing Funchess.

Not gonna lie, never saw Mars Attacks.
by Wooderson  (2018-10-16 20:33:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Actually, I think the only Burton films I've seen were his Batman films. Never saw Edward Scissorhands or the Nightmare before Xmas either.

You’re missing out on the greatest use of Slim Whitman
by gozer  (2018-10-16 23:51:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

music in cinematic history.

Porp's a Big Fish guy. *
by captaineclectic  (2018-10-16 20:57:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

FWIW, so did I
by captaineclectic  (2018-10-16 20:08:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but I had to pick a lane after Woody posted, y'know? And I'd already decided against telling gozer it's "...and that ain't bad!"

Based on caricature, not history.
by captaineclectic  (2018-10-16 19:08:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

More accurately, based on the Children of the Light from the Wheel of Time, which were a melange of the Templar’s, the Inquidition,and the Klan. Plus supposedly some non-Western inspirations.

Martin did it kind of ham-fistedly.

The man isn't known for his subtlety *
by elterrible  (2018-10-17 10:52:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Particularly when describing food *
by wcnitz  (2018-10-17 13:54:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post