It's not.
by starburns (2018-12-12 02:55:59)

In reply to: How is "calories in, calories out" wrong?  posted by grnd

Most of these "no counting calories" diets are just ways to trick yourself into eating fewer calories.

Americans have become convinced that cutting calories doesn't work by people with something to sell -- like the Canadian nephrologist who wrote The Obesity Code. People convince themselves they're fat not because they eat to much but because hormones or (unbelievably) they eat too little.

I think you're oversimplifying it
by jreednd  (2018-12-13 10:59:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In the end it does come down to calories in and calories out. but your hormones impact how many calories you burn, so eating low carb or fasting impacts your hormonal response which, in turn, impacts the "calories out" side of the equation.

I would tell you that these "no counting calories" diets are not tricking a person into eating fewer calories. Fewer calories is often a product of better eating.

I think it's just a bit more nuanced then your first sentence, is my shorter answer.