I believe it.
by WilfordBrimley (2018-12-12 14:48:58)

In reply to: That’s crazy and I find it hard to believe.  posted by Killian

It takes into account the whole metro area. Metro Chicago has 9.5 million people compared to San Diego's 3.3 million. San Diego is also naturally hemmed in by oceans, mountains, the border, and Camp Pendleton - Chicago's brewery MSA covers Three Floyds in Munster, IN to Scorched Earth in Algonquin, IL (almost 80 miles) and everything in between.

Chicago has the good fortune of being nearby some traditionally good brewing areas (Wisconsin, western Michigan, St. Louis area) and has relatively cheap real estate compared to other cities its size. Breweries can't be all that great as far as revenue/square foot is concerned, so it makes sense that Chicago would out-perform NYC, LA, DC, SF, Miami, and the like from that perspective and would out-perform traditionally top cities like Seattle, Portland, San Diego, Milwaukee, and so forth just from a sheer size perspective.

Algonquin is closer to the Wisconsin border than Navy Pier.
by No Right Turn on Red  (2018-12-12 16:01:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Though I met plenty of people at ND who told me they were from Chicago, rather than DeKalb, Rockford, etc., so I guess why not.

I think for the purposes of the study,
by WilfordBrimley  (2018-12-12 16:04:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the entire MSA was included, at least from what I could tell.

ETA: I think this helps Chicago in this type of calculation - it seems like every suburb has its own brew-house/restaurant in its little downtown, and Chicago has a lot of suburbs.

We(Portland) still crush Chicago in per-capita breweries.
by mocopdx  (2018-12-12 15:45:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Chicago's beer scene is odd to me. It's spread out, as you mention, which makes it hard to feel much of a beer community whenever I'm in town. Cities like Portland and Denver tend to have concentrations and pockets of breweries and beer bars that make it easy to get a feel for their beer scenes. Maybe those exist in Chicago and I've just had poor tour guides.

Definitely. SD, Portland, Seattle, Madison,
by WilfordBrimley  (2018-12-12 16:03:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and a few others that come to mind (probably Austin, Grand Rapids area) still out-punch the big cities pound for pound by a good bit.

The well-known breweries actually in the city (Half Acre, Revolution, DryHop, Haymarket, maybe a few others) tend to be clustered where gentrification started occurring maybe 10 or 20 years ago, and land was relatively still cheap in those areas, at least compared to today and compared to what were the expensive areas back then. You can almost draw a semi-circle arc around where that was at the time and go right through the first line of brewery renaissance in the city. That line has now pushed out again into areas like Humboldt Park, Edgewater, Hermosa, almost into Belmont Cragin - would have been unthinkable ten years ago, but that's where the cheap land is now, and it's too expensive to do anything where the more established places are. I think that's why you don't see a cluster or a couple of clusters.