The concessions service was the worst I have experienced
by OCND (2019-01-02 06:42:42)

In reply to: Beer or other alcohol at hockey game? *  posted by Jh_chi

at any event. As mentioned below, beer sold out early, as did a few other items from the limited menu. Some stands completely closed halfway through the game. Line wait times were in excess of 45 minutes. My wife missed an entire period of the game waiting for a drink.

I don’t know this for a fact, but it seems that Levy (the Blackhawks vendor) was running the show, and not ND. I say this because as I waited, I saw vouchers being used which said Levy at the top. This might explain why it seems the planning was so bad.

Who operates the concessions? They’re horrible
by socal_doubledomer74  (2019-01-02 14:30:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and have been that way for years now.

There are different concessionaires for USC and the Rams
by ShermanOaksND  (2019-01-02 18:49:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

at the LA Coliseum. I actually prefer USC's offerings, although I expect a big upgrade for the Rams when they move to their new stadium.

Levy Group. I thought it was Centerplate still, but not so.
by OCND  (2019-01-02 15:48:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They're an experienced concessionaire, as noted below. That being said, I've been to many home ND football games over the past few years and it's never been as bad as yesterday. Possible reasons are mentioned below.

My dad left at the end of the 1st period to get food for us.
by xChicagoIrish  (2019-01-02 13:37:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He came back 13 minutes into the 2nd period with water. By the time he got to the front of the line (after more than 30 minutes) he was told they ran out of food and could offer water or hot chocolate. This was only after the 1st period.

You should've been at the Syracuse game two months ago.
by Wooderson  (2019-01-02 12:41:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It was horrible, my wife waited 45 mins for a pretzel, and they were all sold out.

Not unique to ND
by mitquinn  (2019-01-02 11:12:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Every sports event I have attended at a stadium where the event is the guest to other leagues is rife with poor planning and logistics.

Its always a third party make shift operation.

Yes but ND football concessions have been awful for years. *
by socal_doubledomer74  (2019-01-02 14:42:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

NHL controlled all operations of the venue
by fontoknow  (2019-01-02 10:37:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They may have consulted with ND, and might have leaned on ND vendors like Levy. Levy has plenty of large event experience as they run concessions at Arrowhead, Fedex Field, Ford Field, Levi's Stadium, Nissan Stadium, Rose Bowl, etc.

ND's going to end up taking heat for this, but I'm pretty sure this is on the NHL and Levy, and not on ND.

Running out of beer probably was predictable
by El Kabong  (2019-01-02 10:20:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ND doesn't have a tap system in the Stadium (and they probably should have put one in when they renovated), so you're tied in to the number of cases ordered and on hand, plus physical transportation of the beer from one place to another.

How many stadiums have beer lines throughout?
by fontoknow  (2019-01-02 10:32:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I know Lincoln Financial in Philly does. But I think they are the exception.

I'm pretty sure pro-stadiums/arenas mostly just have keg rooms behind concessions. Now kegs are much more convenient logistically than cans/bottles, but still it requires the physical transportation of beer from one place to another.

True, but kegs would have worked better yesterday *
by El Kabong  (2019-01-02 10:57:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A Keg would work for you...
by dbldomer7375  (2019-01-02 12:30:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but what about all the other people in the stadium?

I think Levy now handles ND concessions as as well
by ddc  (2019-01-02 08:59:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And were not there just because of Blackhawks tie-in.

They had massive staffing problems because so many of the folks usually manning the booths at ND football games (church groups and other SB area volunteer organizations making some money) were almost 100% decline due to the holiday.

No reason to have been running out so early, and the crazy wait times

I didn't know that. Thanks for the correction.
by OCND  (2019-01-02 09:09:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I thought it was Centerplate, but I see that Levy has taken over. There goes my theory.

It was beyond bad...I left my seat at 10min in the 1st to
by ndgenius  (2019-01-02 08:33:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

get my son and I a hotdog and a pop and we didn't return to our seats until a couple minutes in to the 2nd period. Totally missed the Weezer mini-concert which I really wanted to see because I've always liked them.

When I finally got to the counter, my transaction went very quickly...I have no idea what took the 20 people in front of me so long but it was ridiculous.

On the upper level, they had 2, I repeat 2, concession stands open to get a hotdog and pop and not even all of the registers were open. There's 20,000 people on the upper level...the planning for this was so bad.

The rest of the experience was great but standing in line for 30-45 minutes with a 7 year old was a true test for him. He did great but it was taxing on him to stand there and be patient.