I have seen one movie that received a nomination
by Mark_It_Zero (2019-01-22 13:27:41)

In reply to: I think I've said this the last three years  posted by harmonica

Isle of Dogs. I do not plan on watching any of the best picture nominees.

I also saw:

Annihilation
Bad Times at the El Royale
Halloween
Hot Summer Nights
Love, Simon
Mandy
Mile 22
Mom and Dad
The Night Comes for Us
Revenge
Small Town Crime
Summer of 84
Super Troopers 2
The Vanishing of Sidney Hall
You Were Never Really Here

It is not the strongest year, but I liked most of the movies from the list. I never judge whether a movie year is strong by looking at the Oscar nominees. A year is strong if I like movies released that year.

2018 movies I saw
by The Holtz Room  (2019-01-22 14:16:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A Star is Born
Blackkklansman
Black Panther
Eighth Grade
My Dinner with Hervé
Annilation
Sorry to Bother You
Incredibles 2
Crazy Rich Asians
Bohemian Rhapsody
Searching
Ballad of Bust Scrugs
Mandy
Isle of Dogs
Game Night
Super Troopers 2
Terminal
The Captain
Mid 90s
Tag
Peppermint
Mile 22
Arizona
Night School
Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom
A Quiet Place
Ready Player One
RBG
Skyscraper
Venom
Avengers Infinity Wars
Ant Man & The Wasp
Mission Impossible Fallout
White Boy Rick
The Meg
Sicario 2: Day of the Soldado
Rampage
Oceans 8
Solo
Gringo
The Equilizer 2

In the que
First Man (shipped)
The Hate U Give (shipped)
Hunter Killer
Bad Times at the El Royal
The Predator
Widows
Den of Thieves
The Girl in the Spiders Web

*This amount will change in 2019 if I get the job driving the Weinermobile.

That's a lotta dimp *
by Mark_It_Zero  (2019-01-22 14:18:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I make good use of the DVD service.
by The Holtz Room  (2019-01-22 14:39:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I’m sure there are some recs from you I couldn’t remember that should be on there as well.

Living in the sticks, your recs are essential for indie and other non big budget movies I might not otherwise hear of.

I'm always playing catch up on movies from prior years
by Mark_It_Zero  (2019-01-22 14:58:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

so I never watch a lot of current year movies. Your volume is impressive. I probably won't ever get to most of those.

A lot of those you can guess were clunker, pop corn flix.
by The Holtz Room  (2019-01-22 15:09:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I too am catching up on old movies. As I have lulls in the que I get older 60s and 70s “Classics”.

Then I pick out an actor/actress and check out older stuff of theirs. The Cincast podcast was doing some Danny DeVito stuff so I tossed “Other People’s Money” and “Ruthless People” in the que.

If you find yourself in the mood for stylized crime dramas
by Mark_It_Zero  (2019-01-22 19:22:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I just made a Stoic Noir list. Based on your taste, I think it'd be up your alley. I'm sure you've seen many of them, but the ones you haven't are probably worth your time.

Le Samourai
Heat
The Driver
The Drop
A Colt is My Passport
Thief
Drive
Violent Cop
The Conversation
To Live and Die in L.A.
Lucky Number Slevin
Rififi
A History of Violence
Miller's Crossing
The Friends of Eddie Coyle
Too Late
Small Town Crime

Thanks.
by The Holtz Room  (2019-01-22 19:50:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I’ve seen a handful of those, but I copied the rest down.

To be clear, I was also referring to all movies, not Oscars
by harmonica  (2019-01-22 13:33:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I missed most of the movies on your list, so maybe that's part of the problem.

It's not a list of great movies, but for people with
by Mark_It_Zero  (2019-01-22 13:45:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

similar taste to mine, it is a list of entertaining movies.

Mandy and Revenge are awesome.

I still don't know what I think of Annihilation, but it was visually stunning and got me thinking.

Bad Times didn't know how to tie it all together, but it has style.

I'm a fan of the Halloween series, and I think they did a solid homage/send up.

Hot Summer Nights, Love Simon, and Sidney Hall are solid coming of age movies.

Mile 22 has some good action sequences. The rest is Mark Wahlberg yelling for no particular reason. It is the worst movie on the list.

Mom and Dad is a ridiculous Nic Cage horror comedy.

The Night Comes for Us is a violent Indonesian action/martial arts movie. It is awesome and bloody.

Small Town Crime is a solid noir.

Summer of 84 is a Stand By Me/Stranger Things style coming of age movie that turns sinister. Note: It is not as good as Stand By Me or Stranger Things, but it similarly blends coming of age and darkness.

Super Troopers 2 was as good as anyone could reasonably expect.

You Were Never Really Here hit on a lot of the themes I like. Some of the style was a shock to the senses.

Are you swallowing M&M’s whole Farva?
by DakotaDomer  (2019-01-22 17:05:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yeah, it all goes to the same place right?

Why is that the funniest moment I’ve seen in movies all year?

Annihilation
by captaineclectic  (2019-01-22 14:05:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Or the lobotomized man’s “V.R.T.”

It is neither Stalker nor Solaris,
by Mark_It_Zero  (2019-01-22 14:15:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but it would like to be.

I had the same reaction you did
by harmonica  (2019-01-22 14:38:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I walked out with significant qualms, but it's stayed with me more than almost any other movie this year.

I would only unequivocally recommend The Favourite, Thoroughbreds, and The Death of Stalin. And those three are not for everyone, to say the least.