Anyone have Spring Break recommendations for locations
by lilbart (2019-02-17 12:16:12)
Edited on 2019-02-17 13:11:49

near North / South Carolina area? Looking for beach areas. Kids ages 14, 11, 8, and 4. Looking to stay a week.

Hilton Head, though you’re not guaranteed beach weather
by Bruno95  (2019-02-17 19:21:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In late March/early April. Still, you’ll find plenty to do. Pretty easy drive from GR if you wanted to drive. We usually stop in Lexington.

Given your age range + length of trip, I'd go Charleston
by ndzippy  (2019-02-17 19:07:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Charleston's combination of:
(A) Downtown hustle & bustle/things to do/places to eat
(B) Great beaches
(C) Historical significance

...is almost impossible to beat, though a week in Charleston can get expensive.

Myrtle Beach/Hilton Head/Outer Banks lack in categories (A) and (C). Savannah doesn't have as much to offer in category (A).

An underrated destination is Wilmington, though beaches are 20-30 minutes away if you stay downtown...and parking can be a bear.

Imo, a week is too long in Charleston
by nd67  (2019-02-18 16:05:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I would stay on HHI and take day trips to Charleston,Savannah,Beaufort ,
Fripp Island, etc. For a family, HHI offers a wider range of dining options.

My wife and I like Bogue Banks a lot. It's a barrier ...
by Barney68 (click here to email the poster)  (2019-02-17 15:04:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

island about half way down the North Carolina coast. The beaches are great but the water will be cold that time of year.

The island runs east to west. The east end is Fort Macon State Park, which has history going back to colonial times and some Civil War tie-ins. Lee did some of the engineering.

Moving west from there is Atlantic Beach. Touristy but not overblown yet. From AB going west, it's really laid back until you get to Emerald Isle at the west end. Very touristy with a water park, fishing pier, all that stuff.

There are good restaurants all along the island but most are in AB or EI. Many will not be open during the spring break timeframe.

Water is the dominant theme. The Atlantic is the south side of the island, Bogue Sound is the north side. Again, not sure how much will be open but fishing includes surf casting, fishing piers, and charter boats. There are all kinds of related "stuff" including jet skis, paddle boards, kayaks, and boats for rent.

Other things in the immediate area (i.e., on and off the island) include nature hiking trails, one of the North Carolina Aquariums (very nice), Civil War type history, golf courses including one on the eastern part of the island near AB, and nautical "stuff" such as a small museum and a lighthouse that one can tour. And shopping, of course.

Spring break time of year, there should be vacancies in houses, condos, and hotels but "should be" and "are" are different terms. Hurricane damage in the area has had a major impact on what's available.

Our condo there is probably too small for your family (2 bedrooms) and tied up pretty much through the spring break time period anyway. That said, I can refer you to our rental agents as they handle a lot of other properties. If you're interested, email at the link above.

I liked Seabrook island in South Carolina
by DakotaDomer  (2019-02-17 12:51:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I’m not much of an expert on the area but the beaches were quite nice and relatively safe for children.

I hear Myrtle Beach is better than the French Riviera *
by Wooderson  (2019-02-17 12:26:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

True Dat. The Mini-golf and outlet malls are better for sure *
by dbldomer7375  (2019-02-17 12:35:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Depends on what you're looking for. There are tons ...
by Barney68  (2019-02-17 12:25:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

of beaches that are right nice that time of year, lots of golf courses, Places like Charleston and Savannah are loaded with Civil War era history, the list goes on.

What do you like or want for this particular spring break? How long are you planning to be there? How much do you want to spend? Have you read "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil"?