If you think you're sick, go to the doctor.
by LondonDomer (2019-06-17 19:48:52)

As I've posted about, my mom passed away a few weeks back -- May 21st, to be exact. Mom hated doctors. Always had. She struggled with her weight and found the doc embarrassing. She had also had blood clotting issues due to a blood disorder and had some very bad experiences. She did *not* like going to see the doctor.

So for months, she had been having stomach pain. She brushed it aside. She ignored us asking if she would go in and see someone. "It's just indigestion," she would say. "I ate something weird."

The pain would come and go. It wasn't constant. So she didn't go.

We just got the results back from the pathology report from when they removed a section of her intestine where it had ruptured. Our suspicion was some kind of cancer, which caused a blockage of her intestine, which ruptured and ultimately caused her death.

We were wrong.

Diverticulitis. Left untreated. Which lead to ulcers, which led to abscesses, which led to sepsis, which led to peritonitis, which lead to necrosis of her intestines, and ultimately, led to her death.

Diverticulitis is very treatable. It can be dealt with at home with antibiotic pills if it's found before it gets too advanced -- like months ago when she initially complained of stomach pain. Even if it's advanced, it's quite treatable.

Go to the fucking doctor. Don't be proud. Don't be stupid. The doctor doesn't give a shit if you're overweight. Go.

I am healthy. To whom should I go? *
by The Flash  (2019-06-18 14:23:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yes!
by Rockbrig97  (2019-06-18 01:06:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And I’m so sorry for your loss.

I’d also add, especially because we’re a group filled with shanty Irish, get yourself a dermatologist. A friend just had a scare, and Oakland A Stephen Piscotty, 28 years old, did too. I have been running for 25 years and spend a lot of time in the sun. I’m turning 40 this summer and am making the dreaded trip to the dermatologist to look at all the weird moles I notice popping up on my shoulders. In my case, it’s probably nothing. But I can no longer just assume I’m invincible.

I go on the 26th for the "weird moles"! *
by other_guy  (2019-06-18 09:32:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That is good advice
by reilly  (2019-06-17 21:53:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm so sorry you lost your mom, and I know it must be frustrating to learn that her death was caused by something that could have been treated.

Excellent advice. My youngest aunt passed away very
by ndwifemom  (2019-06-17 20:30:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

suddenly about a month ago. She was about 75. Her life changed when she developed a horrific case of the shingles in her anus and surrounding areas. She was never the same. It eventually cleared up but left her with anxiety issues and great pain. Hated to socialize, etc.

She was using cannabis oil, as well a variety of prescription pain killers, when she and my uncle returned to NJ from a winter in FLA. a couple of days after their return, she felt like she had a virus and took to bed for several days. Refused to have my uncle take her to hospital or call an ambulance. On the third night, he went up to check her and she was dead.

Doubt she would have died if she had gotten medical care.

Interestingly, because she died at home, police confiscated all meds she was taking and all electronic devices in the house —phones, laptops, iPads, etc.

Two lessons: if there is a vaccine for something, like shingles, take it and seek medical attention and continue to ratchet it up if treatment is not working. Don’t be a passive patient.

Why did police confiscate electronic devices?
by NDbias  (2019-06-18 10:03:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Is that standard when anyone dies at home? Was there an investigation of the death? What state was this in? Seems unusual and excessive.

I assume to make sure there was no foul play involved in her
by ndwifemom  (2019-06-18 11:50:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Sudden death. No texts, emails, etc. that might reveal something. Also, given that she was on serious pain meds, they probably want to determine that all the meds she had were properly prescribed and purchased.

Thanks. Still seems a bit excessive but good points *
by NDbias  (2019-06-18 23:22:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Seconded. *
by Revue Party  (2019-06-17 20:13:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post