This guy sounds like a miserable...
by shawno3 (2019-06-21 13:00:48)
Edited on 2019-06-21 14:39:54

In reply to: More on youth baseball ...  posted by BIGSKYND

...fuck. Clearly the fight is absurd and deplorable. But in his first two paragraphs he whines about every conceivable aspect of anybody’s kid playing any sport. He strikes me as the kind of guy who goes into just about everything with a negative attitude and then, surprise, it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. He’s just using the fight as an excuse to whine about kids sports generally.

My two kids are right in the thick of youth sports mania. Two seasons of the year we could have 10 basketball games in a weekend with my two kids playing 80 miles apart from each other. We knew what we were getting into going in and we all love the competition and the great life lessons that come from it. The kids make great friends and it’s a far more productive use of their time then Fortnight. There are inconveniences and negative events here-and-there which we typically let roll off our backs. I’ve seen a coach purposefully step onto the court to impede an opposing player’s fast break. I’ve seen a coach yell at a ref not to disrespect him because the ref wouldn’t like the consequences. I’ve heard parents yell negative things about opposing players (including my kids). It’s no different from any other part of life as somebody pointed out below. There are people doing shitty things in every aspect of life. You can either let it roll off your back and keep a positive attitude or whine about it and let “them” ruin it for you. But the full blame almost never lies on “them.”

Here's what I'm missing ...
by BIGSKYND  (2019-06-21 13:37:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

why is this behavior by parents tolerable? IMHO it isn't - for a bunch of reasons. But one big problem is what the hell are kids learning from this juvenile conduct? And then everybody wrings their hands down the road about "entitled jocks."

It depends what you mean by "this behavior"
by shawno3  (2019-06-21 19:02:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't think anybody would attempt to justify the fistfight that is the backdrop of that article - or any behavior even close to it. But across the spectrum of parent behaviors in youth sports I suspect that my filter lets more stuff through as "acceptable" and I just typically try to avoid getting worked up about the stuff that isn't acceptable. I certainly don't aggregate the unacceptable stuff and let it ruin my own or my kids' enjoyment of the sport.

It's competition. It's supposed to get one's adrenaline and "competitive juices" flowing. From time-to-time, one of my kid's teams will be getting blown out by 20+ points in an AAU hoops game and it will start to piss me off that the opposing parents are wildly cheering every basket like it's a tied championship game. But I catch myself and think "The problem isn't them; it's that you're being sensitive. They're excited about their kid." So I try to practice what I preach. Do I think it's better to "act like you've been there before" and tone it down when your team is up by 20? Absolutely. But I'm not going to let myself get worked up if another parent doesn't. And especially not bitch about it long afterward or let it affect my (or my kid's) enjoyment of the game generally.

sports ends so quick for kids
by irishrock  (2019-06-21 13:12:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Just enjoy your kids and create and environment where he/she enjoys it too

Half the fun for kids is the gear and uniforms and stuff. The other half is the treats after the game.

I heard a guy once say that the only thing his dad said after a game was, "geez, I love watching you play ________" I learned from that and did the same thing. The last thing a kid wants to do in the post-game car ride is get coached and critiqued and/or criticized.

Yep....enjoy it. Really, enjoy it while it lasts
by ndgotrobbedin97  (2019-06-22 15:29:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And let the kids enjoy it. If you can't tell whether or not your kid enjoys it, you're doing something wrong.

Those words changes my perspective a few years back
by ndaero93  (2019-06-21 14:23:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I was the intense parent, critiquing (I wasn't coaching - I know that now) my son's races and such after his events (swimmer). I read that statement somewhere and it hit me like a ton of bricks. He was about 10 at the time and is now 16 and still swims in our summer league.

My favorite moments are after his races grabbing the fist bump, quick hug, or even the glance across the pool if I happen to be working the meeting signaling that I am proud of him and enjoy watching. Let the coaches coach, I enjoy being the parent.

I find that it helps if I'm clueless about the sport
by Smokin_Clover  (2019-06-21 14:58:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My kids are into lacrosse and swimming. I couldn't even spell lacrosse growing up in southern Indiana, and I'm a terrible swimmer. Even if I wanted to helicopter parent and get on their case, I wouldn't know what I'm talking about. I just sit back and enjoy the games/meets, comfortable in my ignorance.

In the past, they've played baseball and soccer, which I played a lot as a kid. I've had to stop myself mid-critique on a number of occasions, and probably failed to stop a few times. It takes a lot of restraint.

you should me at a rugby match
by irishrock  (2019-06-21 15:25:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I cheer at the wrong time and get upset at the wrong calls...actually, it's the best. I just go out and enjoy a nice day and watch my son having a blast.

Great point

Also, from my 4 years of experience, youth rugby has very
by 3rdSt  (2019-06-21 18:04:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

few of the problems I have witnessed in football and soccer (baseball scared me off from even trying it out as a parent). I think it’s a combo of two things - there’s no college scholarships/professional opportunities that parents are fighting for and rugby players cultivate a unique form of competition that’s very focused on camaraderie. When most parents also played, it creates a very laid back sideline. I hope it’s that way everywhere.