Carroll Hall ‘95 here. That would be a huge shame
by NDVermin95 (2019-08-23 12:02:29)
Edited on 2019-08-23 12:31:42

In reply to: Rumor-Carroll getting demoed *  posted by AIRBORNEIRISH

Despite some of the seeming disadvantages of living way the hell out at Carroll (and there are some when it’s -15 degrees in February), it was the best dorm we could ask for, and 25 years later there is a group of literally 20+ of us who stay in touch and still get together to see each other. I’d be saddened that other guys wouldn’t have that opportunity.

I think, back when rule enforcement was scarce
by RATINATUX  (2019-08-23 17:16:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It must have been very cool. In the late 2000-2010s, though, rule enforcement wasn't scarce. In fact, RAs would walk around, put there ears to the doors to try to see if they could hear something justifying them entering and res lifing.

With the geographic isolation that was a horrible combination.

We were there at the same time
by HScorpio  (2019-08-23 21:53:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Well, I’m two years younger. But I’m sadly blanking on a Vermin from KC. Did you play football in 08?

And dealing with FJ fucking sucked. Only good thing was he couldn’t go upstairs, and we could pretty easily go up the side stairs.

Edit: saw your hall president post below. I know who this is. That was bullshit. FJ again.

Yep, FJ was the downfall. If only he had fallen down.
by ratinatux (click here to email the poster)  (2019-08-24 00:53:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That would have been a sight to behold.

In his defense, I did a lot that would likely have justified the unilateral removal, just not what I actually got caught for.

Can’t decipher who you are from your profile, but feel free to shoot me an email, lots of us in Chicago.

That sounds lame
by AIRBORNEIRISH  (2019-08-23 19:45:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

An RA in 2001 broke the code and got a friend kicked off campus for parietals. Meanwhile his girlfriend had been staying over every night for like 3 years. Around 5 times that year we duct taped a tarp to his door, filled the space with leaves, and then waited.

Graz if you’re reading this it was me and I have no regrets.

That goes against everything the Vermin stand for! *
by Ndvermin95  (2019-08-23 19:16:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

All the dorms have communities like that, no? *
by squid  (2019-08-23 12:18:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I definitely think
by Rockbrig97  (2019-08-23 13:46:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the Carroll guys from my era had a tighter bond, dorm-wide and within their class, than most of the other groups. Hell, we had as many guys in my year living in Morrissey as Carroll had total residents. Every dorm experience is unique, but I'd say the experience that what Carroll residents had was different from what you'd get in Sorin, Dillon, Keough, or Siegfried.

My freshman-year roommate’s brother was among the last
by 1NDGal  (2019-08-23 14:35:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Holy Cross Hogs. His group of friends was *extremely* tight. His little sister — and all of us, her friends — immediately became their little sisters.

From knowing them I’d say that living in a dorm set away from campus definitely created closer bonds.

Those guys were nuts. Most of them were certifiable geniuses, very kind, but man they could party.

I agree in part.
by AIRBORNEIRISH  (2019-08-23 12:05:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The dorm life was great. You could enjoy much of the same by moving the dorm closer to campus and making the rooms bigger. Also there aren’t enough showers per resident. I could go on but it need updating.

Private parking lot (D6)
by Bruno95  (2019-08-23 12:20:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Huge rooms, basketball court and lawn, lake and track right outside the door, Dome views, gentlemanly reluctance to force girls to make long walks home in the dark, and virtually no rules or standards regarding booze.

In the late 90s, and presumably before then, it was the best place on campus. It was a long cold walk, but the virtues far outweighed the drawbacks.

I would not be surprised to learn it needs a good rehab. But I’d rather hear the whole of Boston were liquidated than see that place be razed.

A football player my freshman year was assigned to Carroll.
by akaRonMexico  (2019-08-23 13:40:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

For the whole first semester he would rather sleep on my floor in Zahm than live in Carroll.

This isn't the guy who redshirted
by Bruno95  (2019-08-23 13:41:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

because of an overdose of ether, was it?

No. D lineman that then was not allowed back sophomore
by akaRonMexico  (2019-08-23 13:44:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

year because he rarely went to class. Presumably because my floor was too comfy, and then getting lost once he had to move to Carroll 2nd semester.

100% cosign from a 4-year resident of Carroll (92-96)
by Vermin96  (2019-08-23 13:05:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My junior and senior years, every morning when I woke up in my 4th floor room, the first thing I saw was the Dome and Sacred Heart across Saint Mary's Lake. Couldn't beat that view!

Most of South and God Quad upperclassmen parked in D6 *
by TAR  (2019-08-23 12:43:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I thought all male dorms (excluding Carroll) had to go to D2
by rflor  (2019-08-23 16:29:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

in order to make room for South/God quad female dorms in D6. Am I misremembering?

Not from ‘93-‘95 *
by TAR  (2019-08-23 17:28:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Most of South and God Quad upperclassmen parked in your mom.
by Bruno95  (2019-08-23 13:27:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I just felt like an argument about Popeye's shouldn't elicit the most irrational response of the day.

Yeah, but they all ended up with STDs because of it
by TAR  (2019-08-23 15:10:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

So there!

Yeah but they had to walk a decent a amount to get back
by Vermin96  (2019-08-23 13:07:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

to their dorms. The corner of D6 closest to Carroll was at most 50 yds from the side door everyone used...we considered that our own "private" parking

Spot. on. Vermin Unite! *
by NDVermin95  (2019-08-23 12:29:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post