My last day is Friday. I am running an $11M project
by tenn_subway (2019-09-23 09:28:47)

I am the project manager.

I am also the subject matter expert on a separate $12M automation project. An absolute key player in the main department impacted by this project.

Due to my roles, the size of these projects, and my relationship with leadership, I gave them 3 weeks notice. They still have not identified a replacement for either project. I ask every day.

Does this seem insane to anyone else? Is it my responsibility to identify my replacement? Am I missing something?

Also, this week is quarter end with a huge push and visibility on performance/numbers so 95% of my time will be devoted to quarter end operations and I will have very limited time for hand off.

A lesson learned
by NDFanSince81  (2019-09-23 10:47:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Great advice so far. The key is to document and to communicate both up and down the organization so everyone is fully briefed prior to departure. An organized file cabinet and a briefing book should cover most situations.

I disagree about leaving any option for a subsequent consulting gig. Leave your contact info, of course, for incidental questions requiring only a brief phone conversation. Otherwise make it an amicable but clean break. Your next job deserves and requires your full attention.

Agreed. Screw the consulting rate stuff
by El Kabong  (2019-09-23 11:29:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Your new employers are your employers now.

The fact these guys stuck their heads up their asses is no longer your problem.

Write “Get Used To It” in soap on men’s room mirror
by Frank Drebin  (2019-09-23 10:44:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Make sure that you completely load up the back of your car with all the office supplies from the supply closet before you do that

I still have the stapler from my first job (really)
by sprack  (2019-09-23 10:52:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In fact, I'm looking right at it.

It's a Swingline stapler, but black, not red.

Why would it be your responsibility?
by sprack  (2019-09-23 10:40:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

When you're outta there, you're outta there.

I left companies when I was in the middle of projects (due to the nature of the business, I was always in the middle of projects). They figure it out. Life goes on.

Denial is not just a river in Egypt. Your leadership ...
by Barney68  (2019-09-23 10:14:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

is not addressing the problem because doing so would require painful choices. My recommendations, in part summarizing below:

1. Do your job to the best of your ability for the rest of your time with the company. That alone can be a challenge as "short timer syndrome" is not a fig leaf (intentional) of someones imagination.
2. Document what you can. This starts with the project management tasks. Make sure your MS Project schedule (tool assumption based on size) is up to date; highlight any tall poles or problems that should be watched for over the next month or so. Red font, yellow highlight as needed.
3. Inform your current boss(es) on any critical items. That starts with subordinates who may be especially capable (possible replacements) or require extra attention. Quality concerns would be number two on my list.
4. Brief your current team on what is going on.
5. Leave your contact information and consulting rate as suggested. Be generous with your current employer with willingness to answer straightforward questions as needed over the next month or two; be generous with yourself if they start to abuse the privilege (doubly true for the SME aspect of the work).
6. Keep your new employer (assumption on my part) informed about what is going on with the firm you are leaving and make sure that old loyalties do not interfere with new responsibilities.

Fair winds and following seas!

This is excellent advice through 4, but on 5 and 6
by sprack  (2019-09-23 10:41:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Establish a cutoff point where they're on their own - doesn't have to be stated, just in your mind at some point you'd say "OK, enough is enough". Usually, though, it's a moot point. They figure it out and move on and don't bother you.

On point 6, that only works if you tell the new employer before taking the job, and the cutoff point again is critical. You can't tell them after starting the new one. I'd ask "who do you work for, them or us"? We had a recent situation like that, with an absolute top-notch consultant but she was unreliable because we didn't know if she was working for us or still working for her old clients. She was independent for many years and it pretty much seemed she wasn't getting the "you work for us now" thing, and there was a parting of the ways.

The people paying you have to know they can count on you. And that means all the time.

And make sure to have E&O insurance in place
by akarl  (2019-09-23 10:24:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

before consulting for them indepdently.

Depends on the industry and work done. *
by Barney68  (2019-09-23 12:32:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Gonna go follow The Dead?
by 1NDGal  (2019-09-23 09:56:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Unless your contract obligates you to identify your replacement or is an express contingency on your getting some kind of severance, I see no obligation. Speaking as someone who is not your lawyer.

If they are the kind of organization that will trash your name in the industry and you care about that, then that could be a consideration.

I wonder why you're leaving. Sounds like a well run org. *
by Giggity_Giggity  (2019-09-23 09:56:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Exactly *
by tenn_subway  (2019-09-23 10:07:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Allow me:
by Jess  (2019-09-23 10:53:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Leave them a note on your last day
by elterrible  (2019-09-23 09:48:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

with your contact info and your hourly consulting rate.

Your job is to create the transition plan. Their job is
by ndaero93  (2019-09-23 09:42:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

To provide someone ti whom you can transition. If they do not, you’ve left materials for the next person when they do.

However, consider letting them know what your plan is and suggesting they identify someone - even if interim on their end.

Definitely not your responsibility to identify a replacement
by fontoknow  (2019-09-23 09:34:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Do what you can to tie up loose ends. Generate documentation where possible.

Otherwise, don't worry about it.