I have to ask because I really don't understand...
by Dan93 (2019-10-17 22:57:59)

In reply to: Law firm members,a question.  posted by TWO

This whole topic is so strange to me that I searched the internet for sample email signatures that include pronouns. I understand that some people born male identify as female and that some females identify as male. But what makes no sense to me is some individuals prefer (they/them/their) as their pronouns. What's up with that? Why would an individual person prefer plural pronouns? To me that is just bad grammar. What am I missing?

Some don’t believe gender is binary
by irishfitz124  (2019-10-17 23:19:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There are people who identify as neither male nor female and there is no precedent or widely accepted alternative to describe them. They/them is preferred to the only other singular pronoun: it, as that is seen to be dehumanizing.

There are numerous alternatives, but none have seen widespread adoption.

Zhe, Zhim and Zher are coming on as gender neutrals *
by Raoul  (2019-10-17 23:59:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My personal preference would be those
by El Kabong  (2019-10-18 08:27:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I have no problem using whatever pronouns people want, but when they start using a plural pronoun to refer to a singular human being, I agree -- that's shitty grammar.

Zhe is really hard to beat. And as you said, no bad grammar
by Raoul  (2019-10-18 10:11:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

or confusion. I too dislike They.

It could be confused with a Chinese name.
by tdiddy07  (2019-10-18 10:59:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And it seems to make little phonetic sense in English construction. Ze would seem to be a superior choice as a subject. And having both both Zhim and Zher--or choosing either or an object noun--would defeat the purpose of gender neutrality.

I like ze black one *
by Father Nieuwland  (2019-10-18 11:11:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Made famous by the Mary Poppins song
by 88_92WSND  (2019-10-18 07:59:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

zhim, zhim, and he.
zhim, Jim, and who?

Very good *
by Father Nieuwland  (2019-10-18 09:27:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Outstanding *
by El Kabong  (2019-10-18 08:26:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post