Wireless is more susceptible to drops in speed.
by cujays96 (2020-07-02 10:27:52)

In reply to: A question about internet speeds...........  posted by Ty Webb

Here is a list of causes for slower wifi. If you are all fighting for the 2.4GHz signal, that will slow all your devices down.

The simplest thing you can do is reboot the router. Also, ensure any devices that aren't actively being used are off or in home screen type mode. eg When not in use we ensure we put our Roku on the home screen, even though it is wired, so NetFlix or Hulu doesn't try to run even though the TV is off.

Additionally, wire up as much as possible
by El Kabong  (2020-07-02 10:31:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

HTown gave me great advice a couple months ago -- if something in your house is stationary and uses the Internet, why do you have it on WiFi?

I brought someone in to run CAT-7 wire to the three televisions using Internet in the house, and it definitely made a difference for all the other devices (e.g. cell phones, kids' laptops) using the WiFi.

I second running Cat7 *
by ODSCHOOL  (2020-07-02 11:48:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Any thoughts on it not being standard?
by NDBass  (2020-07-02 12:16:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I just skimmed a few articles, but it appears cat7 isn't a standard. It uses a different connector as well. Seems like cat6a or cat8 might be better, but it might depend on needs, run lengths, etc.

Was the 7 a typo?
by NDBob  (2020-07-02 12:14:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Because unless you got some sort of a great deal there's really no reason to run anything above 5E in a home as that will handle gig ethernet at up to 100m.

Cat7...cat8...whatever it takes. *
by Bluntschli  (2020-07-02 12:10:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post