Anyone else trying to separate from their cell phone?
by BuckeyeJohn05 (2020-08-07 08:43:27)
Edited on 2020-08-07 08:46:39

I lived the first 32 years of my life unencumbered with a cell, and for the past 10 years, the damn thing is on me 24/7.

One of my goals during the quarantine was regain some independence from the phone. I think it is major source of unhappiness and stress. It's sad that we live so dependently on tech companies and an unnatural device. I do also believe it takes away from the human experience and has many side effects--many which are not fully understood yet

My ultimate goal is for this to be my last smart phone. I am not sure that is realistic since I have 10-15 years left of work life. I have avoided devices and apps that run through the phone, so some progress has been made. Phones are boring. It's nice to flip on my old CD players and have other gadgets.

Anyone else feel this way?

Set boundaries on usage
by ravenium  (2020-08-07 12:12:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Leave it on your desk, don’t take it to the couch or to bed.

No, I love my cell phone. One of the great inventions. *
by TWO  (2020-08-07 11:16:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This guy does too:
by Jess  (2020-08-07 12:11:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm on call 24 X 7. Not an option. *
by PWK2  (2020-08-07 11:14:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's the only thing that truly understands me.
by akaRonMexico  (2020-08-07 11:12:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

So naturally I hate it...but I need it, so no.

No. Hard pass. *
by kellykapowski  (2020-08-07 10:51:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My job does not allow it but
by KnightlyRevue  (2020-08-07 10:37:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I have turned off all non-essential notifications and now leave my home without a cell phone when going to run short errands of an hour or less. No phones or electronics of any kind can be visible when we eat dinner as a family (especially at restaurants) and I have configured my smart phone to only notify me if there is a high priority work item. My phone goes into do not disturb (outside of critical notifications from work) at 10:00 pm.

I do not participate in social media of any kind (FaceBook, Instagram, Tik-Tok, Twitter, etc.) with the exception of LinkedIn and that is only because it is required for work.

I sincerely miss the days of being disconnected and leaving my home completely free of contact from anyone. I find we are a nation of digitally addicted egotistical misinformation seekers. I choose not to participate. The irony is we have all the access to one another we could possibly want and none of the meaningful connection; rather we fill our lives with pictures of food and other nonsense. A virtual "LOOK AT ME!!!" mind set that permeates the very fabric of existence now.

Okay, I will go get a Tylenol and get off my soapbox.

Nope. Love it. Celebrating our anniversary soon *
by sprack  (2020-08-07 10:31:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The alimony is too prohibitive. *
by tdiddy07  (2020-08-07 10:14:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Turn off the colors, making everything black and white.
by EricCartman  (2020-08-07 09:43:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It takes all the fun out of a smartphone.

Are you getting rid of your computer too? *
by DakotaDomer  (2020-08-07 09:23:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

After the printing press was invented did people start distancing themselves from books?

There is a clear difference *
by BuckeyeJohn05  (2020-08-07 09:30:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Then you should be able to explain it
by DakotaDomer  (2020-08-07 11:38:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Because all of the technological advancements are a way to share information in different forms. Our jobs have changed along with the technology advances and using technology is an expected part of it.

Hunter-gatherers didn't need to read/write to do their jobs. Early 1900 lawyers did and they utilized a whole hell of a lot of books to do so.

So are you getting rid of your computer too? No one had a computer 50 years ago, why do you need one?

It's self-evident
by BuckeyeJohn05  (2020-08-07 11:48:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You're being obtuse , as always.

Your bias appears to be self-evident
by DakotaDomer  (2020-08-07 12:15:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And your inability to form an argument to support your position.

In his defense, your questions here are as dumb
by pmcdnd96  (2020-08-07 16:12:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

as throwing out half a cake.

Can you make the argument?
by DakotaDomer  (2020-08-08 04:40:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

No?

Shocking

Of course I can
by pmcdnd96  (2020-08-08 08:42:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As cell phones have migrated away from being phones and toward being omnipresent miniature computers that can also make phone calls, we have also adopted an increased urgency to information exchange of all types. In some situations, like when our kids need to be picked up at a friend's house, it is very helpful to have these devices with us. In other situations, like when your brother in law wants to know your mom's potato salad recipe at 11:36 PM and needs to know it RIGHT NOW, these devices are a hindrance to healthy communication. But for better or worse, there is now an expectation that you will receive and digest information constantly. So you generally have to keep your phone on your person at all times. This is especially true for people in sales, customer service, and IT (which I believe is your field) where a failure to respond immediately makes one look unprofessional in comparison to competitors.

The omnipresence of the devices have led to the rise of social media platforms, which again have further escalated the information exchange game. If you don't like Aunt Suzie's picture quickly enough, you're going to hear about it at Thanksgiving. In short, smart phones have created an expectation and almost a responsibility that you will always be "on."

Computers are different. Before smart phones, people understood that it might take you a day to respond to their e-mail. People understood that you might not have your phone on you. Thats gone. I recently took a couple days off for a "staycation." One day, I hiked up a small mountain. I left my phone in my car. When I came back to my car, I had a series of messages asking why I hadn't responded for three hours. That was annoying AF.

So yes, smart phones are great inventions. But in addition to the benefits, they have added significant stress as well. I can understand why he would want to get away from them.

Can you make the argument?
by DakotaDomer  (2020-08-08 04:40:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

No?

Shocking

A phone is a small computer *
by ravenium  (2020-08-07 12:12:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If you can, turn off as many notifications as you can...I
by ndgenius  (2020-08-07 09:02:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

am an android person and a few galaxies ago they added the lock screen notifications...I found myself looking at the phone infinitely more and I had a couple dickhead clients that were causing me added stress and every time that damn notification showed up I thought it was the dickhead sending me another shitty message so I turned off those notifications and my life got a little better.

I also started muting some of my annoying text message notifications and just check in on it on my schedule. The more notifications you're able to get rid of, the less you'll check your phone.

Also, get off of all social media if you can...Facebook especially is the scourge of society. Twitter is so much better because you can follow actual reporters and people you want to read...I don't follow back everyone that follows me...chances are they suck and I don't want to read their crap.

Good luck, hope you find some solutions!

Make use of the 'Do Not Disturb' function as well. *
by ndphils  (2020-08-07 19:17:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Exactly. *
by kellykapowski  (2020-08-07 12:03:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Turned off text message notifications years ago
by hayesman_  (2020-08-07 09:18:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Best thing I ever did. No vibration unless a phone call. Phone on silent 99% of the time.

Most of us look at our phones frequently enough to see if we got a text, but this gives me the opportunity to go 4+ hours if I’m doing something to not be bothered by my phone.

I would if my job wasn't directly tied to it.
by Wooderson  (2020-08-07 08:59:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Nothing like answering 10:00pm e-mails, I tell ya.

Agreed.
by johnnysalami  (2020-08-07 08:48:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The detriments of screen time are not yet fully known. On my Google Pixel phone I set timers for my most used apps. I try to keep screen on time under 2 hours every day- however I still use my Microsoft Surface to some degree each day.

Have you looked at the Light Phone? Attached a link below. Essentially it is a phone that can only make calls, texts, and alarms. I think that's about it. Fairly pricey, but I do like the concept. Have yet to pull the trigger.

. . . or, to really simplify (link)
by other_guy  (2020-08-07 10:13:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Interesting. I will check it out *
by BuckeyeJohn05  (2020-08-07 09:00:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post