Expensive maintenance.
by BottleofRed (2020-08-07 14:00:10)

In reply to: Homeowners, what do you hate about owning a home?  posted by gregmorrissey

I include in this category things such as water heaters, the roof, drainage issues, etc. This stuff all costs a lot of money but doesn't increase the value or enjoyment of the house like a new bathroom would.

Yeah... just put 500 bucks into a new effluent pump last
by gozer  (2020-08-07 18:23:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

week. Seems I need one of those because they built the house at a lower elevation than the leach field. At least it wasn’t another $2000 well pump. Or 25k to replace the deck that rotted out a couple years ago. Re-doing the fence section that was damaged by the same tree I cut down that did most of the demolition work on the deck is going to be another several hundred (though I think we should put that off a while and leave the redneck halfass job up for a bit until money’s a little more free). New roof? Yeah, that’s expensive (three years ago). Repacking a driveway? Expensive...(last year) Dealing with a prick lying propane delivery guy who doesn’t want to drive down the asphalt driveway in winter because it’s a little icy? An incredible headache, but didn’t actually cost money in the end.

The top of the door frame leading out to my deck started
by Barrister  (2020-08-07 15:26:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

leaking water into my living room Wednesday night in a thunderstorm.

Now I need new French doors, and I've got warped floorboards. It was lots of fun going up on a ladder to nail a tarp to the house in the driving rain to shunt some of that water away from the doors.

It's going to cost me a couple grand to fix all this I expect. Good times.

A couple of years ago during a thunderstorm
by BottleofRed  (2020-08-07 16:52:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

a giant bulge of water formed behind the paint in our dining area. My husband sliced open the paint to control how fast the water came in. Before we could repair the walls and repaint, we had to figure how the water got there in the first place because it wasn't the roof leaking.

Not fun times.

Well, how did it get in? *
by Milhouse  (2020-08-07 20:11:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Too much water converging from multiple roof sections.
by BottleofRed  (2020-08-07 22:06:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

All the water overwhelmed the gutters and backed up under the shingles. My husband had to put some metal thing on the roof to redirect the water. Problem solved.

Slipped a 20 to the doorman *
by gozer  (2020-08-07 20:35:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Almost anything is at least a $1500 job. *
by Irish Tool  (2020-08-07 14:06:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Funny, my wife and I have had a $1500 rule
by Son of Galway  (2020-08-07 14:21:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Since buying our first house.

The rule? Everything costs $1500.

Lucky. Our joke is $10K *
by thatguy  (2020-08-07 14:51:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not at the Port Authority *
by The Holtz Room  (2020-08-07 14:14:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If only the cost of PA infrastructure jobs
by Wooderson  (2020-08-07 14:23:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

was in line with the price of the other sorts of jobs you can find there.