Husband and wife use the same email for everything
by Otter (2021-04-15 15:51:14)

I sort of understood this 15 years ago, but with filters, gmail, aliases...I don't get this in 2021.

I am dealing with a very nice couple who we know socially. They also coach a child of mine.

They use one email for everything social. The account uses the husband's name which consistently surprises me when I open the email and see the wife has signed it. I sometimes email one of them and the other one will answer.

What's the upside of this? It's just confusing. Even if they used "smithfamily@yahoo.com" that would be less confusing than "bob.w.smith@yahoo.com"

Hol up.
by GoldCoastIrish  (2021-04-16 05:48:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A yahoo mail address?

Those people are not to be trusted.

People in my family still use hotmail email addresses.
by grnd  (2021-04-16 11:06:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They are not elderly.

Don't make the Dillon Edwards mistake (link)
by NDManorite  (2021-04-15 23:32:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Joint banking, e-mail, and home phone at our house.
by G.K.Chesterton  (2021-04-15 18:32:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Of course, my wife has her own cell phone and her own Signal/WhatsApps chats, and she has a separate e-mail account which we pull into her own folder and I heavily use Gmail filters because 99% of her stuff, I have no interest in, but we still use the same account for the bulk of our correspondence.

My wife would put up with the inane emails between me
by 512  (2021-04-15 17:45:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and my ND buddies for a about two minutes before she went running.

I see some benefit to it.
by squid  (2021-04-15 17:01:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Tons of offices have shared inboxes for teams/projects/areas of responsibility.

I wouldn’t mind if we had one email address that got forwarded to both of us or we used imap, for all the kids stuff. We’ve missed stuff because we haven’t properly coordinated.

We use one for family related registrations
by S---Alley2  (2021-04-15 17:29:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Parish, school, sports, etc. I don't want any of that junk coming to my primary email, but I can log in and search for something if needed.

We sort of have one for family business
by doolinbanjos  (2021-04-15 17:00:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It’s evolved to essentially be her email but it is a family account. All of our extramarital affairs are carried via text.

ISPs and gmail were once stingy about addresses
by cujays96  (2021-04-15 16:23:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I have one that has both our names but I'm the only one who uses it. At this point I don't care and it's too much hassle to inform others who do email me using that account. I have a back up non-shared email that I can use for resume purposes.

It's not as bad as joint facebook accounts.
by ocnd  (2021-04-15 16:02:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"Steph N Jon Smith"

I always wonder which one cheated.

Same *
by cujays96  (2021-04-15 16:21:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My sense is that, for people who do this, you're lucky....
by Marine Domer  (2021-04-15 15:53:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

they even know how to use email. [My mom flatly refuses to own or use a computer, much less email. She won't text, or even own a smart phone. She is a Luddite.]

They are 41
by Otter  (2021-04-15 16:01:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Definitely not luddites. They have smart phones and use apps for sports.

That's ... odd
by ndtnguy  (2021-04-15 17:43:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Is it just social or school stuff that they run through that account? I could see a potential convenience factor for that, but for all purposes, it's a tad odd and sounds exhausting.

Trust issues, is my guess *
by Jimbo Irish  (2021-04-15 16:07:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Bet you can message them each privately on Grindr. *
by dbldomer  (2021-04-15 16:27:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Well, that brings up another surprise for both. *
by The Holtz Room  (2021-04-15 16:58:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Well, it’s already been established that both spouses are bi
by shawno3  (2021-04-15 18:56:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

-lateral users of the same e-mail account.

A Pina Colada Song situation? *
by TWO  (2021-04-15 17:22:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yep, then no excuses. *
by Marine Domer  (2021-04-15 16:05:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post