The hospital has no choice
by StetsonDan (2021-10-19 09:36:24)
Edited on 2021-10-19 09:46:55

In reply to: The hospital’s policy maker has no ability to change minds  posted by RoccoGlobboSchoolForWomen

Putting aside one's opinions on whether a vaccine mandate is a proper policy for work or for a medical provider (I think it is proper for both and necessary for medical providers), it's important to note this was not the hospital's decision.

CMS has a rule that says a medical provider cannot receive federal Medicare or Medicaid funds (around 2/3 of the funding provided to my local hospital) unless they have a vaccine mandate and their employees have complied with the mandate. This is not a hospital system making this choice. It was a choice by the Biden administration imposed on the hospitals, clinics, and nursing homes.

Now, with that said, medical providers have an ethical obligation to make sure they are not getting their patients sick -- "First, do no harm." It has long been standard policy to require hospital employees to get the flu shot. My local hospital in the heart of Trump-loving rural Minnesota has had this policy for a number of years. I apologize for the bluntness on this, but you're out of your fucking mind for thinking that it is evil to require a medical provider to get vaccinated so they don't spread a wildly infectious and fatal disease to those at risk of getting sick. And I say that as a person who has defended trying to reason with anti-vaxxers rather than just calling them out for their foolish choices.

Replies: