How laser-guided and GPS bombs work
by ndzippy (2022-05-24 15:04:30)

In reply to: I'm looking for ideas for an Informative Speech  posted by wrathofsorin

I actually gave an informative speech on this topic as an MBA student (for a communications course), and the audience ate it up.

Of course, I spent 8 years as an Air Force intelligence officer before getting my MBA, so it was easy content for me to present. Still, there are lots of resources out there.

Related: Why the DoD funded the original work
by Trekker  (2022-05-25 00:51:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As important as precision guided munitions and navigation are nowadays, it was really important for the “B” part of ICBMs. You are only as accurate as your known starting position. Getting really accurate positioning of a submarine or a potentially mobile MX was a major driver. It was impressive how the approach scaled so well to other uses.

Here is a good starting point. It's only 1:39 long
by Tommy Baseball  (2022-05-24 15:25:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but I think it could be stretched to 8 minutes if some additional definition is provided for he technical jargon.

Actually, how GPS works would be a good talk.
by 105Marquette  (2022-05-24 15:19:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Applicable to everybody on the planet and something most people take for granted.

I don't take it for granted. It amazes me. *
by PWK2  (2022-05-24 16:22:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post