One thing I hope more than anything
by El Kabong (2019-06-09 14:54:39)

This board used to be really robust, with a lot of people talking about the games and the players. In the last few years under Schrage and Aoki, it's fallen off a cliff.

Whomever ND hires, I hope that coach gets the program back to where people have fun talking about it again.

I'll second that. *
by cbo86  (2019-06-10 10:52:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Schrage deserves a little bit of a pass
by GOLDENEIL  (2019-06-09 22:12:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What happened to him when he arrived definitely hurt his enthusiasm. In his defense, he did a real good job at Evansville. I don't know if he was the answer for us, but his start did not help.

The issue in the thread is waning enthusiasm for ND baseball
by ShermanOaksND  (2019-06-10 14:43:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I agree Schrage is less blameworthy than Aoki, especially given his wife's passing just before his first season. But the program has been in a funk for a dozen years now.

The cost of paying to go to ND was likely his primary issue
by btd  (2019-06-10 14:22:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I suspect the reason he failed at ND was he could not figure out a way to recruit around the cost of attending ND on 1/2 scholarship at best. His other coaching stops have been at schools where it is far cheaper to attend so perhaps he is more able to recruit.

That's really the only logic I see for why he's been above average both before and after ND. He's been at relatively cold weather schools each job, so that's not his issue. I don't think ND played a materially tougher schedule while he was at ND either -- not in the ACC then.

11.7 scholarships don't go very far for a baseball team. *
by Slotts  (2019-06-10 17:36:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If NDN had not existed before the Schraoki era
by ShermanOaksND  (2019-06-09 20:23:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I wonder if there would've been any call for a "Jake's Field" board.

They need to hire a high energy guy
by mrock90  (2019-06-09 16:22:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

One that stokes interest in students, alumni, and local fans as well; there is exactly zero energy around the program now

Too bad they cannot duplicate the South Bend Cubs energy.
by hibernianangst  (2019-06-09 17:09:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I have been to several South Bend Cubs games and they are high energy and a good entertainment value. I realize some of the South Bend Cubs game energy is related to alcohol sales but there is also great game production.

Going to Notre Dame baseball has been akin to attending a small wake.

I think it's time to start selling booze at ND games
by ndzippy  (2019-06-10 06:58:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If any sport benefits from booze sales, it's baseball. Watching a game without a hot dog and a beer is unamerican.

...and they should start by selling it in the dugout *
by NH74Domer  (2019-06-10 08:08:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Definitely, get that Bad News Bears attitude!
by ProV1x  (2019-06-10 19:39:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Coach Buttermaker..."This quitting thing, it's a hard habit to break once you start!"