45 years
by IrishKnight (2018-10-17 07:40:33)

In reply to: I'm going to West Point Saturday for the Army/Miami of OH..  posted by ndmck

I was also at the 73 game, first ND game as well as Army. I've been back to West Point, at least once a year, since then.

The other posters have hit some high points as far as locations, we are hiking to Fort Putnam the day of the Air Force game.

One note, the parade is now 3 hrs before kickoff so they will march off at precisely 9am. Depending on your cruise, you may be tight on that window. From the parade, you can walk north to the Old Cadet Chapel and Post Cemetery. Interesting history there if you are into that sort of thing. As you walk up the hill to the stadium, the Cadet Chapel will be on your left.

As Moff posted, outside the stadium, they set up Black Knights Alley along the resevoir. They sell beer, wine, some food. There are bands, wall climbing, face painting for the kids. Mid morning, the team walks through.

Weather is looking better for Saturday, foliage should be turning and it could be a spectacular day - Enjoy!! We were up for Liberty and it was great, going back for AF and that always rocks the place.

I was also at the '73. Inside is a link to a movie clip my
by Walsh69  (2018-10-17 13:07:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

father took that day. It shows cadets marching and some of the game.

Very Cool
by IrishKnight  (2018-10-17 14:18:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I remember that day like it was yesterday but the video brings back the details like the cars, hats on men. We went up in a Ford LTD! My buddy cut a juicy one starting out and his Dad rolled up the window and made us wallow in the stench. The Dad's were knocking back Schaefer tall boys at the tailgate. There's a clip in there of a kid in a black West Point sweatshirt. I had the same one, Dad got the same pattern in Gold, that i eventually inherited in HS. Fun stuff!

Sold! I just picked up 4 tickets myself, next to the Cadets.
by Moff  (2018-10-17 09:59:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hopefully, they will rub off on my kids. Actually, one of their former swim teammates swims for Army, so it will be fun for them to try to spot her in the parade. One of their other former teammates swims for Navy, so we just need one at Air Force, etc.

Moff in the car
by irishrock  (2018-10-17 17:28:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

True dat. *
by Moff  (2018-10-17 23:01:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Regarding - parade
by IrishKnight  (2018-10-17 10:58:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Just so you are aware, I think only 2 regiments march except for things like Army-Navy, so seeing her march might not even be in the cards. On the other hand, years ago,my cousin swam for Colgate and was on base for a meet the weekend on Army/AF and we were are actually able to see her compete, plus take in an Armed Forces rugby tournament. Check the West Point site, there might be other stuff going on. We always discover something new. Great day!

Excellent intel. Thanks! *
by Moff  (2018-10-17 11:22:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm shooting for 10NOV v Lafayette
by Shifty  (2018-10-17 10:07:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Weather, and family obligations permitting, I'll head up to catch a game during the day and be back home in time for the FSU night game. I've been up there twice. It is always a great experience. I pick up a few NYC friends at Tarrytown Metro-North and we have a great day on the Hudson.

Sounds like a great way to do it. *
by Moff  (2018-10-17 11:36:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post