So if MLB, NFL, & NCAA open up play, will social distancing
by SWPaDem (2020-05-14 07:38:36)
Edited on 2020-05-14 07:49:20

be all that will be used to protect players? (For simplicity, let's keep college students out of the discussion here.) I'm thinking if I'm a player, I'd want something more than relying on my young, virile teammates keeping their noses and the rest of their faces clean before I'd want to don the uniform.

So will we see the use of antivirals issued prophylactically as part of an extra measure of protection, so to speak, for these players? I ask this as there is no cure, i.e., vaccine, for AIDS, but yet those afflicted with it now lead basically normal lives by taking a "cocktail" of essentially antivirals (daily?) while prior to this therapeutic regimen, they were basically issued a death sentence once they contracted the disease.

I know that the discussion of antivirals with regard to COVID-19 has become a highly political one, but I'd sure hate to live the rest of my life out socially distancing, not knowing what's out there that might help. It seems that short of a vaccine or achieving herd immunity - where most, it would seem, don't want us to go there - social distancing will be with us forever, i.e., until it doesn't work anymore when we reach the point of enough is enough. This COVID-19 is just too contagious.

Lot of good points made in this thread...
by nddad98  (2020-05-16 11:38:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but for me, seeing the fools who shout that they have a constitutional right to do this or that and ignore simple hygiene precautions that will prevent spread of the virus is what threatens all of us. You cannot fix stupid as is stated on these boards so often. And it is stupid to think that you have a constitutional right to spread a deadly virus to others when wearing a mask, washing you hands, social distancing, and the like can cut that risk to near zero.

My point is that in spite of the best efforts to intelligently conduct any activity safely, some dumbass dufus will shout out that he has a constitutional right to ignore whatever he wants to ignore and cannot be forced to comply. Yes, he has a right to be stupid and make a fool of him/her self...I wore the uniform and have been shot at and hit in order to PROTECT THAT FREEDOM...as dumb as THAT may sound, but no one has the right to knowingly and intentionally spread potentially lethal illnesses. The actions as well as intelligence of humanity represent a bell curve from insanely stupid and gross to unbelievably intelligent and refined. It is amazing how proud people are to exist at both ends.

However, I like the efforts to promote the playing of college football in the Fall. It would certainly be a huge boost to our nation's morale. My alma mater has even gone so far as to claim that they will return to normal activity while providing the necessary testing services on campus from the university itself...an idea promoted by the University president who is a thoracic surgeon. Good luck with that huge risk and undertaking which will take a lot of Bearing Down. Fortunately, the medical school and associated hospital and labs are nearby.

I still have not seen any ideas that have convinced me completely that unless all students, at the minimum, can be tested before allowed on campus, or ideally, vaccinated, that normal class activity and football with fans can be conducted. But I am beginning to see hope and there is nothing like Yankee ingenuity...if our SEC friends will indulge the expression.

They’ll point of care test every single day
by DakotaDomer  (2020-05-16 00:14:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Every single player more than likely

This is why a lot of eyes will be on the Budesliga tomorrow
by Irish Warrior  (2020-05-15 21:35:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Other than Korean Baseball, it'll be the only major sports league playing. Granted, Germany's in a far different situation than the US, but it'll be the first one to study to see what works and what doesn't.

There goal scoring celebrations were pretty funny
by fourputtmd  (2020-05-16 13:47:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

All 5-6 guys running as fast as the could to the goal scorer.....putting on the brakes at 6 feet and dancing

How would you feel if you were an OG
by SEE  (2020-05-14 15:19:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

with NT breathing in your face?

If players tested regularly then fine by me. UFC is
by inigomontoya  (2020-05-15 14:17:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

doing it. NFL can figure it out.

UFC guys get paid.
by Wooderson  (2020-05-15 18:32:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

NCAA linemen don’t.

Massive difference.

CDC Numbers
by finnigan  (2020-05-15 12:55:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As of May 6, the CDC had only reported 51 COVID related deaths for individuals between the age 0 to 24. Out of the 51, it was not reported how many had underlying medical conditions.

So, based upon those numbers, I would feel okay having the nose guard breath on me since both he and I are virtually untouchable to COVID-19.

Some survivors are ...
by Rocksteady74  (2020-05-18 16:13:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

... pretty fucked up.

Some say some is a meaningless modifier *
by airborneirish  (2020-05-20 12:26:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Deaths are not the same as illness
by ND_Navy  (2020-05-15 13:49:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And I know of several young people who have had a tough time with this illness. It is true they didn't die but they wouldn't have been playing football either.

Yes, and if even one player were to get sick, I would
by SWPaDem  (2020-05-14 15:50:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

imagine that could have a significant impact on the team's psyche, no matter how encompassing their testing program may be.

And how would you feel if you were to go up against a team who just lost a player to covid?

Indeed, it would only take one .... *
by other_guy  (2020-05-14 16:02:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Baseball would seem to be the safest game to play.....
by Wolfetone  (2020-05-14 13:50:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Football the most hazardous....

If you ban sunflower seeds
by SixShutouts66  (2020-05-14 16:03:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The amount of goobers in a baseball dugout rivals what your puppy marks throughout the neighborhood.