Sporadic philatelist here. When the Rockne stamp was issued
by Irish72 (2020-06-09 09:43:13)

In reply to: Knute Rockne stamp  posted by wearinofthegreen

I purchased a sheet of 100, two plate blocks of 4, and two first day of cover issues postmarked at the Notre Dame post office. I started collecting stamps as a Cub Scout project and a neighbor found a box of envelopes which she gave to me with several old stamps. One of which turned out to be quite valuable. I took it over to her and explained what I had found, but she said to keep it. I have not had it appraised in several years, but imagine I could purchase an MDX and insure it through USAA for the value of the stamp.

Just curious now, what is that valuable stamp? *
by Son of Galway  (2020-06-09 19:13:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It is in a safe at my brother's dental office. I am retired.
by Irish72  (2020-06-09 21:39:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

With the covid-19 restrictions in place I cannot even go into the office. I will have to ask him to bring my stamp collection out to the house some day.

And out of curiosity, what stamp is it? *
by milhouse  (2020-06-10 09:48:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Whoosh! *
by Son of Galway  (2020-06-17 23:16:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I assume you have Fr. Hesburgh, too?
by DavidAddison  (2020-06-09 10:55:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A couple of Christmases ago I got all the kids framed Hesburgh stamp stuff from the post office. I think they are cool but the kids never embraced them (and they are all ND people). I got a few items for myself too.

I do have two of the Rockne first day letters. They seem to have changed their policy on how they handle those by the time Hesburgh came out...I think the difference is the Rockne ones had your actual address on it while the Hesburgh ones were pre-shrink wrapped generically and then mailed inside a larger envelope.

I have the FDC and block of 4, but didn't get the full sheet *
by Irish72  (2020-06-09 14:12:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Father Hesburgh stamp
by wearinofthegreen  (2020-06-09 13:40:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The way Teddy fired coach Leahy, and the way he was treated after he was fired, ( coach Leahy had to say good bye to the ND students from a second floor bedroom window at the Morris Inn, ) I would never have a stamp of Teddy. Another thing; I saw him smiling and clapping for Obama like school girl at her prom. Obama, voted for infanticide while he was in the Illinois senate. He was pro abortion and hated the United States. Teddy is better suited to drinking excellent wine with Ann Landers. I have no respect for Hesbburg whatsoever.

Yikes. *
by Giggity_Giggity  (2020-06-11 09:27:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think you've offered this view before.
by milhouse  (2020-06-09 14:47:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You're definitely in a minority around here.

Fr. Hesburgh
by wearinofthegreen  (2020-06-13 13:19:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Milhouse, I am proud to be in the " minority " As I believe in things that our great " School of our lady " use to stand for. As the late and great "Mother Angelica stated," Notre Dame and other catholic colleges have become just liberal bastions of secularism," And they were led down that lane by your hero, " Teddy".