Did we waste a good team on a crappy year?
by rgvirish (2020-11-24 14:37:17)

To the untrained eye, (like mine), watching the games this season, this team seems even better than last year's. I haven't bothered to look at stats but it just seems that way.

I feel that we would still be undefeated even playing our regular schedule. (I also think we could have beat this year's USC, Miami, and Michigan teams.) So, even if we win it all this season, it will still be a slight downer.

It will have a big friggin' asterisk.

To win the championship we will have to at minimum
by 01momanor  (2020-11-25 11:50:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Do two of the three of beating Clemson again, beating Ohio State, and beating Alabama. After already having beaten #1 Clemson in the regular season. It is very possible all four of those wins would be necessary. And this is after playing as many games as any team in the country, and many more than teams from the Big Ten and Pac 12. There would be no asterisk.

Before the season started
by novadamer  (2020-11-25 11:02:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I told my family this season could be my nightmare. Whole conferences are disqualified for not enough games, we end up with a watered down schedule that we win easily, and get into the playoffs. "Better" teams lose due to missing players and the final four are not the best. We win it all against Bama's third string when they decide to play the Championship with whoever they have available. Kelly's statue goes up before the team returns to South Bend. Now THAT would be an asterisk.

I have never found it worth my time to deal with “What Ifs.”
by NDtwice  (2020-11-24 22:35:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They don’t exist. They never did. They never will. They are just myths. Consequently their validity can’t be established. It’s like trying to figure out if Santa’s stomach is really fat. A more productive path is to interpret reality. The Notre Dame football team is having a great year. The team played the hand it was dealt. It is productive to consider probable future events (Will ND beat NC?) but not “what If” speculations.

It's like deja vu all over again. *
by rgvirish  (2020-11-24 23:02:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He’s just living up to his handle *
by tar  (2020-11-25 06:49:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

LOL. Used back button. Unintended post. Go Irish. *
by NDTwice  (2020-11-25 08:51:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Happy Turkey Day!

Maybe you guys are right. My Spurs won it all in 1999 and
by rgvirish  (2020-11-24 21:33:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't see an * mentioned anywhere.

Maybe I shouldn't be so negative.

If we win it all, then I guess we win it all.

Go Irish.

Best part of this year is teams can't load up on free wins
by ND_Rumpus  (2020-11-24 20:57:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

against local garbage opponents, and their records reflect that. There is nothing but stark reality in the W/L column. 0-5 Penn State is much more satisfying than 3-5 Penn State.

That homerun that bounced off Jose Canseco's head?
by Molly Maguires  (2020-11-24 20:23:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Still a homerun.

Saw one like that in Little League when I was a kid.
by ArasEra  (2020-11-24 22:25:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It was hilarious.

Except for the poor kid whose head it bounced off of.

He lost it in the sun and dropped his head.

No *
by Revue Party  (2020-11-24 20:13:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Did we get an asterisk for beating Iowa Pre-Flight and
by TCIrish03  (2020-11-24 19:49:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Losing to Navy Great Lakes in 1943?

If we beat everyone on our schedule, we will have done what we were supposed to and be just as worthy as anyone else.

I do think the Big 10 should be accountable for playing fewer games though, and Pac 12 eliminated themselves anyway.

I’m upset we don’t get to beat USC
by DakotaDomer  (2020-11-24 18:09:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But I’m upset about that every week we don’t beat USC.

Asterisk in whose opinion? We beat the #1 team in the
by sprack  (2020-11-24 17:25:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

country. We might have to beat another #1 team in the country.

If we do win it all, there will be no asterisk for me.
by smcdermo  (2020-11-24 16:24:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

To do so, we will have in all likelihood beaten Clemson twice along with Alabama and OSU. It would be a hard-earned, legitimate title and put this team near the top of the very best teams in Notre Dame history.

I agree.
by Wooderson  (2020-11-24 20:14:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The path to a title requires going through the best in the country.

If we win it all, no one can say it was a fluke.

Goddam right. F—k an asterisk when this table is run. *
by Inigomontoya  (2020-11-24 20:17:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Waste would assume a choice. No choice, no waste *
by Hatchet Man  (2020-11-24 15:41:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We didn't have to play USC or Wisconsin this year.
by G.K.Chesterton  (2020-11-24 15:31:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Both would have been away from home. Who knows how that would have played out.

I think we would have stomped them both.
by goirish89  (2020-11-24 19:29:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Wisconsin showed us who they were this past weekend. USC has struggled with subpar competition.

I wish to God we played them both this year.

I have never found it worth my time to deal with “What Ifs.”
by NDtwice  (2020-11-24 15:20:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They don’t exist. They never did. They never will. They are just myths. Consequently their validity can’t be established. It’s like trying to figure out if Santa’s stomach is really fat. A more productive path is to interpret reality. The Notre Dame football team is having a great year. The team played the hand it was dealt. It is productive to consider probable future events (Will ND beat NC?) but not “what If” speculations.

And yet I hope you would never deny the power of "If"
by bizdomer09  (2020-11-24 16:48:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

by Bread.

Great post. Would never deny. Late wife liked the Bread. *
by NDTwice  (2020-11-24 17:51:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post