I’m not saying that you’re wrong, the points are
by usmcirish (2024-02-12 09:34:49)

In reply to: Shanahan is the worst big game coach…  posted by wiNDycityfan

valid.

But, I’m old enough to remember the exact same things being said about Tom Landry until they weren’t.

Dallas lost in the playoffs every year from 1966-1970 until winning SB VI.

That included 2 NFL championship games against Green Bay, 2 Divisional games against Cleveland and SB V against Baltimore. Benching Craig Morton for Roger Staubach was the catalyst.

You have to win a lot of games just to get there and most of the NFL would love to have SF’s record.

They were also said about Kirby Smart until they weren't
by Tex Francisco  (2024-02-12 10:15:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and until they were again.

Took Andy Reid 21 years to win a Super Bowl
by RJD  (2024-02-12 10:10:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

from 1999 to 2019

And in so doing he was horrific at end game/half management
by bizdomer09  (2024-02-12 11:33:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

until he wasn't. Exhibit A (among many) is the endgame of the Eagles first Super Bowl against the Patriots, when he burned clock with a methodical drive to pull within one score. There are many worse examples with the Eagles in less high-profile games.

He was before my time so I am curious
by JBrock18  (2024-02-12 09:49:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Did he lose 3 ten point or more leads in those games as the primary offensive play caller like Kyle Shanahan has now done in 3 Super Bowls?

I love what SF does offensively with pre snap movement and use of personnel. Their run game is great to watch with the blocking variations they use and when they are clicking there isn't much you can do to stop them. Shanahan deserves most of the credit for that along with Lynch for the pieces he has assembled. With all that said Shanahan is now in Lamar Jackson territory for me. Until I see him close the deal, I won't believe he can. He should have a couple of Super Bowl rings and he doesn't with significant reasoning being his own decision making.