Am I crazy for thinking Butker should be the SB MVP
by 105Marquette (2024-02-12 11:48:35)
Edited on 2024-02-12 11:49:57

...and not Mahomes?

Butker was 4/4, including a record long FG and scored the majority of KC's points.

Mahomes fumbled twice, threw a terrible pick, and had at best a so-so first half.

Yes, the QB is the most important position, but given how much KC was struggling in the first half, I thought Butker was the most consistent performer throughout the game.

What were the fumbles?
by IrishJosh24  (2024-02-12 16:31:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't remember him fumbling. I looked up the box score, and it does indeed say he fumbled twice. Then it mentioned one was a low snap that he "fumbled," and then recovered to throw an incomplete pass. Were both fumbles like that?

KC recovered six (6) of the seven (7) fumbles in the game.
by G.K.Chesterton  (2024-02-12 18:05:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Nice fumble luck there.

it takes that sort of luck to win championships
by jt  (2024-02-13 17:34:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and it takes near flawless football if you're going up against a defending champion; you can't expect to win putting the ball on the ground and in not converting when you do get a turnover, not to mention ill timed penalties by some of your best players.

In all, it's kind of amazing the Niners were in the game at all; they did almost everything wrong to expect to win, and they nearly did. And some of the biggest errors were by their best players. Add that to the refs "letting them play" (which I've long been against and think is stupid; brings me back to the Ravens trying to get a holding call in the endzone in the Super Bowl after the 12 season and the refs taking forever to throw a flag, even though every single member of their team blocking was trying to get the call to get the safety and free kick) and you've made it so much tougher on yourself.

"How to lose a championship in stupid ways." It could be a rom com starring Kate Hudson or something.

what happened with Kittle
by irishrock  (2024-02-13 23:56:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

4 yards total...they held him into block so much. That was a real surprise...some were saying he was bracketed a lot, but not with our elite CB's.

he was hurt *
by jt  (2024-02-14 12:24:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Interesting stat.
by IrishJosh24  (2024-02-13 14:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The Chiefs fumbled five times. I also don't remember Richie James's fumble. Sheesh! The Chiefs lost the Pacheco fumble but recovered the other four.

Interestingly, perhaps, two of the drives that involved a recovered Chiefs' fumble ended in a turnover anyway. The Chiefs recovered the Rice fumble, but then lost the Pacheco fumble later in that same drive, and they recovered the Mahomes fumble but then he threw an interception a couple of plays later. Twice, then, they basically just got to a more favorable turnover (marginal for the INT, but very much so for the Pacheco fumble).

Other was a botched pitch on 1st play of 2nd half *
by Tubes  (2024-02-12 16:54:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Reid took the points.
by Wooderson  (2024-02-12 15:14:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's the last game of the year, get ALL the points as early as you can.

Butker is my fantasy kicker, and has been for years now, he's Vinatieri 3.0. Got a chance? Take it. I figured our box pool would come down to some stupid "let's go for two moment" but it was straight chalk all the way.

Wish I hadn't stuck to my rules (4th q score is 4th q score, OT doesn't count) because I had $3k coming if I'd had the OT score for my little daughter. Stupid principles.3

Switch those rules up. The big payout should go to the box
by Carlos Huerta  (2024-02-12 15:34:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

with the correct final score. I'm good with a provision, especially in a pool with a good payout such as yours, that in the event of OT the box with the 4th quarter score gets a little piece of the final score payout but that's it.

we all give the box the payout *
by jt  (2024-02-13 13:54:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That’s why they call it the money shot *
by Father Nieuwland  (2024-02-13 20:36:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I understand what you're saying...
by El Kabong  (2024-02-12 16:13:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...but it does screw over the people with matching numbers from winning the final a little bit.

Yeah but if they had double 0,3,4,or 7 they were set pretty
by Carlos Huerta  (2024-02-12 21:24:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

well with good odds for the first three quarters. In this example I think $500 for the 9/9 box and $2,500 for the 5/2 box would be how I'd look to set it up.

I run it, so I get a little tip on the back end
by Wooderson  (2024-02-12 15:53:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

from the folks who know how it goes.

But the rules are the rules, 58 SB's and that was only the 2nd to go to OT. The final Q4 score stands, and no one has an argument. Made for a more entertaining OT, all pressure off financially.

Here's a nice Butker story from 2023 regarding his faith. (link)
by G.K.Chesterton  (2024-02-12 13:58:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think that it should have been Chris Jones
by jt  (2024-02-12 12:02:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but Mahomes is a really good choice as well.

Chris Jones had a monster game
by catripledomer  (2024-02-12 12:11:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He almost single handedly disrupted the 49ers attack in the second half. He made more than a few critical plays that would otherwise have resulted in positive plays for San Francisco.

Agree. Wonderful images of him and his mom (I think) after
by domerfromkansas  (2024-02-12 21:03:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The game.