Fields is a Steeler *
by DBCooper (2024-03-16 18:50:47)

This user did not provide content for this post

Is there a statistic for...
by Kbyrnes  (2024-03-18 15:10:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...the number of times an NFL QB has had a wide-open receiver downfield and either missed him by a lot, or just never saw him (I can understand the latter more than the former, but it's never good to do either very often).

"On one play in particular, Fields somehow missed two wide-open receivers and cost the Bears what would have been a touchdown."

next QB for the Bears to ruin...
by 84david  (2024-03-18 11:13:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Caleb Williams come on down!

Imagine the melt down in Chicago when Caleb Williams
by ndstein04  (2024-03-17 16:27:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

turns out to be a slightly worse to slightly better version of Justin Fields.

Can't wait to see his "F Green Bay" nails. *
by cmhirish  (2024-03-18 14:00:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Precisely what I’m expecting
by jwill77  (2024-03-18 11:55:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I just don’t see Caleb becoming a top 5 QB, and if he’s not going to be that then passing on the hall of draft picks you could get by trading the pick is a mistake. But whatever, I’m stuck as a Bears fan so I’ll hope for the best.

Worse is not really possibly. If he is just slightly better,
by DomerJon  (2024-03-17 20:37:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I will be shocked and be totally wrong. I think he will do quite well.

It can always be worse. *
by ndstein04  (2024-03-19 09:22:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They (we) know it’s coming. But…..
by The Holtz Room  (2024-03-17 20:26:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Al Golden gave DCs of Bears' opponents a gift in October
by JACC1203  (2024-03-17 20:18:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Its a safe bet that game film will have more than just a few views before this upcoming season.

If I recall, that was the Pat Mahomes defense.
by usaf_irish  (2024-03-18 06:41:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Borrowed from somebody, I can’t remember who.

Bittersweet
by wiNDycityfan  (2024-03-17 07:22:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Knew the day would come, had to come. Sad, but hopeful. To new beginnings, all aboard the Caleb train🐻⬇️

more sweet than bitter, bitter than sweet *
by jt  (2024-03-17 13:34:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Can't top that. I surrender. *
by Kayo  (2024-03-24 18:05:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

as you tremble and you bleed *
by jt  (2024-03-27 14:21:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Caleb wil be the Bears' broken-hearted savior. *
by MrE  (2024-03-17 10:11:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Wait...I thought the NFC North ran through Soldier Fields?
by G.K.Chesterton  (2024-03-17 00:30:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I will miss him
by tenordrum75  (2024-03-17 08:59:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As a Packer fan!

Bring on Mr. Fingernail Polish, and give him the same treatment our Irish gave him in 2023!

I was at his last game at Lambeau. All the Packers fans
by DomerJon  (2024-03-17 10:58:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

wanted him to stay. That tells you all you need to know.

Speak comfort to me, Bears fans.
by cmhirish  (2024-03-16 23:12:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Alas, I anticipate your answer will be similar to Marley's.

Fields apparently has a year remaining on his rookie contract that pays him only $1.6M, so there's that.

The importance is not this year
by DBCooper  (2024-03-17 08:32:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

By the end of this year they either have to give him a big extension or exercise his 5th year for $25 million. That’s a big decision and if they don’t think he is their future qb it’s probably better to go with someone else and have the 4 years of a rookie deal to build around him and decide if the next guy is worth the big money after year 4.

Of course this assumes Chicago can build around him using free agency money as opposed to improving the team for Fields with draft capital from trading the #1 pick. But I assume the bears feel comfortable that fields is not the answer. The fact they only got a conditional 6th rounder shows that the league agrees.

I look at the decision as pretty telling on the bears belief in Fields as much as it is on the belief in Caleb.

Not to mention it gives the GM more job security in theory as well. Hey we need a few years to build around Caleb and to nurture his abilities.

IIRC, 5/3 is date for 5y option decision *
by bsuryn  (2024-03-18 00:00:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Technically his cap hit is 3.2 million. Base salary of 1.6.
by ndstein04  (2024-03-17 05:44:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Roster bonus of 1.6. But not horrible.

Thank god he's gone. My BIL is a Steeler fan and pissed.
by DomerJon  (2024-03-16 19:53:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I have no idea why anyone would miss this bum. Dynamic my ass. He sucked and I couldn't be happier that he's gone.

Russell Wilson is going to be the starter
by sprack  (2024-03-17 15:10:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And the Steelers gave up practically nothing. What is he pissed about?

He actually wanted to keep Pickett. But he knows fields
by DomerJon  (2024-03-17 15:43:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Blows. Fields will be lucky not to be playing in Canada in 3-4 years.

Antwaan Randle El
by Molly Maguires  (2024-03-19 11:38:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

is one of my favorite Steelers of the 21st century.

There's no reason to think Fields couldn't fill that role.

The guy was the best Steelers QB in Super Bowl XL

He could be a gadget guy, but Randle El was never a starting
by DomerJon  (2024-03-19 20:48:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

QB in the NFL. I don't think Fields will want the demotion to WR/RB. Randle El was fun to watch at QB at IU for sure.

Kinda a weird reaction from both of you.
by revressbo  (2024-03-16 21:31:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I have a higher opinion of Fields as a player than you do but even if conceding that I’m wrong and you’re right, I’m not sure why you would be trashing him/bashing him on his way out. He was a great locker room guy and provided basically the only excitement on a 2022 Bears team that was terrible.

And it’s not like he cost them anything of significance either the past three years; it was an awful roster in 21 and 22, and a better one in 2023 but still nowhere near a SB contender. All of that is true even if you think he’s an “bum” with no possibility of improvement.

As for your BIL, they gave up essentially nothing. It’s an extremely low risk for a probable low-moderate return, possibly high return if he can get developed more/learn from Russ. Not sure why he’d be “pissed” about this.

I don't know what you saw, sure he had some nice runs here
by DomerJon  (2024-03-16 22:41:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And there, but he was a horrible, horrible passer. He's Mitch with better mobility. He'll never win anything. Honestly, I've trashed him since they traded up to pick him. Never understood the fans that thought they needed to build around him.

DaBears were last,4th to last & 7th to last in sacks allowed
by ram  (2024-03-17 12:02:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In his 3 years
And he ran for a ton of yards, prob running for his life

Stillers OL is not great but was better & will get better when they get a center
They might draft another OT

I like Fields & think he will do well with a decent OL
I do not understand Wilson being assumed as the starter already

Part of that is on Fields holding the ball too long
by sprack  (2024-03-17 15:14:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That was my biggest frustration with him.

He has great stats on play action calls
by ram  (2024-03-17 18:46:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

& George Pickens is always open

Apparently Fields was told he will not be starting this year
by ndstein04  (2024-03-17 12:34:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but to take it as an opportunity to learn from Wilson.

Maybe Fields becomes a Wildcat or WR option like
by G.K.Chesterton  (2024-03-17 00:33:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Antwaan Randle El.

Have you met many Steelers fans?
by usaf_irish  (2024-03-16 22:39:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We’re not known as a rational bunch of cats.

I'm not the happiest about him going to the Stillers. But
by ndstein04  (2024-03-16 19:55:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

its only a sixth round pick (which could upgrade to a 4th depending on amount of playing time), and he is not competing for the starting spot. Unfortunately, that starting spot now belongs to the ghost of Russell Wilson.

There were no good options out there.
by usaf_irish  (2024-03-16 20:00:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I’d rather have a combo of Wilson and Fields than Tannehill.

But that’s me.

And Hartman in the 6th round. *
by usaf_irish  (2024-03-16 19:27:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The Steelers are the Island of Misfit Former Bear QBs *
by sprack  (2024-03-16 18:58:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Poll: Which is worse? Spending the premium draft capital on
by cmhirish  (2024-03-17 10:08:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

a Tosu QB, or trying to resurrect the failed Tosu QB's NFL career?

Started with Tomczak *
by bizdomer09  (2024-03-16 20:07:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post