I can always try
by jt (2024-03-25 16:25:47)

In reply to: JT - can you please explain the new NFL rule on tackling?  posted by Jvan

from that I understand, they don't want hip-swivel-drop tackles (not to be confused with simple hip drop tackles). What is a hip-swivel-drop tackle, you ask? Good question. From what I've been able to put together, they define that as a defender leaving his feet, swiveling his hips mid air, and then landing on the back of the offensive player's legs in an attempt to tackle him. A regular old hip drop tackle doesn't involve (apparently) leaving one's feet.

I believe that's the gist. Now, how are they going to properly enforce this issue, you say? Damn good question. From what I understand, they are going to lightly enforce this in games (no call unless it's blatant) and then the league will be reviewing things on a weekly basis and doling out fines. They realize that the current officials can't even be trusted to call blatant holding, OL downfield on passing plays, etc. so they aren't really going to really enforce it now, they're going to try and "teach technique it" out of the game.

They're really concerned about health and safety, you know. That's why they let players play on artificial turf that's been proven to lead to more injuries than grass.

Replies: