I see this is a very good thing.
by PeteatND (2024-03-26 09:32:32)

In reply to: I can always try  posted by jt

And, I don’t think it’s as nebulous as people seem to think it is, or particularly impactful to the game.

The kind of hip drop tackle they’re targeting, which you describe, is fairly blatant IMO. Not only are you not driving through the ballcarrier with your legs, you’re leaving your feet entirely to drag a guy down solely with your momentum and body weight. As you noted, oftentimes intentionally landing on the back of the player’s legs to completely eliminate him in-place.

The idea is to be able to stop a guy’s forward progress immediately, even from the side or behind, rather than driving him 3 or 4 more yards downfield. It didn’t even exist as an available technique when I was playing rugby as a kid. I would’ve been dumbfounded someone would even think of such a thing if it were suggested in those days (from what I understand, the technique DOES now exist in rugby, too).

Tackling fundamentals have been perpetually abysmal in football for decades. Hopefully this will help defenses refocus on the basics.

Replies: