He seems to be almost universally considered a top OL coach
by irishaddict (2018-01-10 16:33:57)

In reply to: buddy who is a Bears fan is thrilled with the hire  posted by irishrock

I'd prefer he be at ND, but as a Bears fan, it could be worse.

Plenty of Tennessee fans were happy to see him go
by NavyJoe  (2018-01-10 17:22:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm not saying those folks were sane or rational, but they attributed a lot of their offensive problems to HH and recruiting/development.

Hiring a 4-8 La. Tech HC with no coordinating experience
by tdiddy07  (2018-01-10 17:32:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

probably was a bigger reason. I imagine a lot of units looked bad.

Things have been looking up for UT lately.
by irishaddict  (2018-01-10 17:26:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I guess I was talking about football media etc. I don't put much stock in what Tennessee fans had to say.

Things couldn't look any worse. *
by rick  (2018-01-10 18:04:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Universally good recruiter, sure. Developer?
by bleedsgreen04  (2018-01-10 17:11:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm not so sure, and when you remove recruiting from the equation entirely I don't really know what his value is in the NFL.

I mean, he's developed how many draft picks?
by irishaddict  (2018-01-10 17:26:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Supposedly he had offers from 3 other NFL teams.

universally?
by ACross  (2018-01-10 16:59:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Because such an august and revered organization as the Bears hired him?

It apparently wasn't just the Bears.
by irishaddict  (2018-01-10 17:29:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Supposedly - and this is not from ND-centric sources - three different NFL teams were pursuing him.

I guess the Browns weren't looking. *
by SouthSideIrish  (2018-01-10 17:04:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post