Given the great news of late
by HTownND (2018-01-10 17:06:47)

It's the new year, and no word on the penalties for impermissible academic benefits

What is the consensus on what the NCAA will do (not should do)

1) Uphold previous penalties
2) Remove all penalties
3) Soften the penalties

I'm voting #1, mostly because I just don't find our argument all that compelling, and the NCAA responded to our complaints in their report already.

Given how they let UNC off the hook, they'll make an
by G.K.Chesterton  (2018-01-10 22:10:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

example out of us to look tough.

Sadly, this. *
by Paddy O'Furniture  (2018-01-14 18:11:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

3 - just because I love watching you pull your hair out
by airborneirish  (2018-01-10 21:08:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

fighting with people over this. I kid. 1

1. ND has never gotten an even break from the NCAA nor
by guinness1940  (2018-01-10 20:39:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

do they deserve one in this case

Educate me
by RJD  (2018-01-10 21:05:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"Just consider that FSU was found guilty of one of the worst academic fraud cases in NCAA history. It involved 61 athletes in 10 sports. It involved, as the NCAA noted and FSU agreed, fraud committed by the employees who were there to preserve the very academic integrity that was defiled. And yet when you look team by team, FSU's scholarship cuts and other sanctions were no worse and were in fact lower than what many teams face for poor performances in the classroom (penalties for a low Academic Progress Rate)." Dead spin link not allowed

And they did not self report. But ND deserves it up the arse?

ND had an honor code violation (non-existent at FSU) involving students but the student was also a trainer. Good Lord. Technicality. Was she paid? Tenure?

Education
by HTownND  (2018-01-11 08:36:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And to be technical it was honor code violations, as it happened over 3 years with 9 players. And she was a paid employee

Should do 3
by RJD  (2018-01-10 18:34:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

based on the precedent of penalties given other programs for deliberate behavior who did not cooperate with the NCAA's investigation.

I do not have a clue what they will do.

My view is that you do not vacate wins for unintentional behavior that was also self- reported.

If ND had knowingly played ineligible players, that would be different and demand stronger punishment.

Compared to the plumbers helper, this was not a story that I followed very closely.

This is a poll and I answered the question not as asked so I will not debate anyone from Texas over 200 pounds...Rick

I know you don't want to debate this
by HTownND  (2018-01-11 11:54:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But we have precedent for an academic violation, that was self reported, involving a fellow student who was also employed by the athletic department.

See the link above regarding ECU.

The key differences

Our employee was a student trainer
Their employee was a student tutor

Ours took place over 3 years and involved 9 players
Theirs took place over 1 year and involved 5 players

They received 2 years probation (which was reduced to 1 year)
We received 1 year of probation (so it was ultimately similar once the NCAA reduced a year for them)

Similarities
Vacated Wins
No loss of scholarships or post season bans

Hope this is the outcome *
by oldtownirish  (2018-01-10 19:25:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Light it up
by ShermanOaksND  (2018-01-10 18:01:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Actually, it already should be lit, for hockey.

1 *
by IrishJosh24  (2018-01-10 17:39:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This is a tough one...
by Kbyrnes  (2018-01-10 17:22:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...On one hand, I want to answer out of the respect I have for HTownND. On the other hand, I don't want to answer, because I have so little respect for the NCAA.

Since HT > NCAA, here's what I think: I believe that #1 and #3 are real-world possibilities; I can't fathom #2 happening. Logic might dictate #1, but I posit no logic to the NCAA's ultimate approach.

4-No decision but you're banned from posting about it. *
by SouthSideIrish  (2018-01-10 17:21:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Tough but fair
by HTownND  (2018-01-10 17:25:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Tough but fair good sir. I hope you are well, it has been far too long

Hey buddy.
by SouthSideIrish  (2018-01-10 17:28:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I kid because you're a good guy. I hope all is well my friend.