It's not too early to begin to steel ourselves
by BeijingIrish (2018-01-14 11:40:33)
Edited on 2018-01-14 14:55:22

against the humiliating loss to Northwestern we will experience this fall. It will be the third straight time the mighty Wildcats defeat the Irish. The Medill School graduates will be in full throat. The city will dye the Chicago River purple in NW's honor. Of course, we have our own purple thing, but there's no honor involved.

I’m steeling myself for the B-G game and the proported QB
by zahmb  (2018-01-14 13:13:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

controversy. If we don’t have a quarterback issue, wailing and gashing of teeth and a good old handwringing over who will lead the Team, then we are just not ND under Kelly.

I'll be looking for a breakout performance...
by BeastOfBourbon  (2018-01-14 15:29:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

by some 4th level depth chart player, and for the board to lose its collective mind.

Ah, the Junior Jabbie ‘Blue-Gold Breakout Award’. *
by zahmb  (2018-01-14 15:50:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The defensive Breakout award is named for Mansel Carter. *
by hibernianangst  (2018-01-14 19:14:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Break out in what way? *
by dillon301  (2018-01-14 22:00:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

By his play in B-G game the next all american and legend. *
by hibernianangst  (2018-01-14 22:36:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He refused to lift weights. Didn’t want to ruin his b-ball *
by dillon301  (2018-01-15 09:03:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They will alternate on 1st,second, and 3rd down.....
by Wolfetone  (2018-01-14 15:05:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Punt on 4th down if they haven't turned it over. See how smart I am
will Kelly muse to himself.....

I expect Wimbush, Book, and Jurkovec to rotate series...
by ndroman21  (2018-01-14 14:30:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...against Michigan.

I’m mostly kidding, but then there’s Texas 2016 to consider.

I am so excited for the 2018 season
by MukIrish  (2018-01-14 12:36:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

that I just booked a return flight from New Orleans to Seattle right in the middle of our likely humbling opener vs. Michigan.

My wife and I would rather go watch Tulane/Wake Forest Thursday evening, watch our son in the band, attend a cooking class, and take in some jazz and good food.

If we end up beating Michigan, I'll skip through it on the DVR Sunday morning over coffee and a blueberry muffin.

The last time ND lost in Evanston
by ShermanOaksND  (2018-01-14 12:32:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Ara Parseghian was Northwestern's head coach, Joe Kuharich was ND's head coach, and I wasn't born yet. For the record, I'm old. ND now has a 5-game winning streak in Evanston (4 under Ara), but hasn't played there since 1976.

We played them twice during my undergrad years:
by BeijingIrish  (2018-01-15 00:52:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In '65, my sophomore year, at Notre Dame; and, in Evanston the following year. We won both handily (38-7 and 35-7 respectively). The '66 game was played on a beautiful October day--sunny and warm. The score could have been 50-0 if Ara wanted to run up the score. We had a couple scores called back including a 70 yard punt return by Tom Schoen.

There was a 16-year hiatus in the series after 1976. In 1992, the NW home games were moved to Soldier Field. Again, a hiatus after the 1995 game until we played them in '14.

My dad said the series was animated by real hatred in the 30's and 40's. We were the Papists, and NW was seen by Irish fans as a bastion of WASP privilege.

I got just a whiff of that WASPy privilege
by ShermanOaksND  (2018-01-15 14:33:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

during my first summer job in law school. I clerked with Barnes & Thornburg in South Bend. We spent one day that summer at the Indianapolis office. All the summer clerks briefly introduced themselves. One of them emphasized that she was going to law school at "North-WESSSSS-tern." It was Charles Emerson Winchester-esque. My fellow South Bend clerks and I made fun of her for the rest of the summer.

I went to the '66 game with a bunch of guys from my class.
by BeijingIrish  (2018-01-15 15:32:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

After the game, we ran down to the field to meet one of the NW pom-pom girls. It was a pre-arranged meeting--I had called her a few days prior to the game. Judy had been my high school classmate, and we saw quite a bit of each other during the 4 years she was in Evanston and I was at ND. I often went to Chicago for weekends. I stayed with my grandmother who lived in Evanston, and Judy would fix me up with her sorority sisters.

Anyway, Judy invited us to a frat/sorority party that evening. We agreed that we would meet at the venue, an apartment on Belmont. Suffice to say, we were not exactly welcomed, at least by the men at the party. I've never encountered a bigger bunch of assholes. I think they resented us because the women were quite attracted to us. I don't know what it was. Perhaps it was because we were so devastatingly handsome. Or maybe it was because we were exotic--real, live Catholics with strange surnames, names with lots of consonants. We didn't stay long--we grabbed the women we'd hooked up with and went a short distance to some bar on Clark. We had a ball.

So we can take comfort in this being an audition for Kelly's
by 88_92WSND  (2018-01-14 16:58:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

replacement?

I don't think Fitzgerald has any interest in leaving NW.
by daviehamsufferer97  (2018-01-14 19:59:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not that Savvy wouldn't pursue him, but I think he'd tell him to pound sand.

It would continue ND's post-Ara tradition
by ShermanOaksND  (2018-01-15 14:39:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

of being rebuffed by Northwestern head coaches.

Fitzgerald is right out of central casting! *
by ShermanOaksND  (2018-01-14 17:45:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

When we played NW with Lou (the game where
by 84david  (2018-01-14 14:59:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Ron P. won 3 heismans), was that in Soldier field?

Twice, in fact, and we won both -- 1992 with Mirer
by ShermanOaksND  (2018-01-14 16:54:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and 1994 in Powlus's debut. So we've won 7 straight road games against Northwestern, as the Soldier Field games were NW home games.

It was, my first ND game! *
by pmac98  (2018-01-14 15:11:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

yes *
by jt  (2018-01-14 15:11:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Ara had blowouts too *
by jt  (2018-01-14 13:29:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Where in the world did you find these films? *
by Dennis  (2018-01-14 12:56:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I probably should not reveal
by ShermanOaksND  (2018-01-14 16:52:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

how much of my free time I spend on YouTube searching for videos of past ND games.

Not surprisingly, Northwestern itself posted these videos.