Not surprising. Stanford was convenient as
by Irish Tool (2018-03-14 16:59:05)

In reply to: What do my fellow band alumni think  posted by shea

a lightly attended repeating opponent whose band didn't travel. Now it's a hot ticket, and with the band in the seats they are at least not slapping a gouged ticket price on with the cost of alumni band participation.

I'd be interested in the history
by shea  (2018-03-15 09:47:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

1988 Miami was a band reunion. Was the point more recently always to treat it like other schools treat "homecoming?" (Otherwise unattractive matchup...)

I assumed so, but I don't know the history.
by Irish Tool  (2018-03-15 11:56:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"Parent games" when I was a student were definitely treated the way you describe homecomings. They were always the two biggest snoozer home games.

Miami 88 is a little surprising. They were a Johnny-come-lately that decade, but certainly by around '86 the planners should have known that would be a big game. The 88 schedule was mostly a gauntlet though.

They needed a game with no opponent band
by El Kabong  (2018-03-15 15:43:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

All the other home games that year had the visiting band in the stands.

Miami had a small band that didn't travel.