That’s why the most successful professors scream at students
by Father Nieuwland (2018-03-18 22:25:35)
Edited on 2018-03-18 22:35:46

In reply to: A screamy coach has won a lot of recent titles  posted by SEE

And bosses at their employees.

Can it produce results? Obviously.

Is it nexessary to produce results? I don't think so, and I cannot think of any non-athletic settings where a “good ass chewing” is viewed as an acceptable and useful tool for seering a lesson into an adult brain and deepening memory and recall.

EDIT - I assume the military probably still utilizes screaming, but I am open to correction if that is no longer standard operating procedure in the service.

I can't speak for now, since I've been out since 1990
by tf86  (2018-03-19 09:05:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But plenty of screaming in the military during my day (1986-1990), which explains in significant part why I got out as quickly as I did.

Saban and Sweeney don’t think football is analogous
by SEE  (2018-03-18 22:45:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

To classroom learning nor to the average work environment.

Neither does anyone else.

A good ass chewing can fast-forward a lesson.

Constant screaming is idiotic.

6 of the last 9 NC have been won with coaches who occasionally go off on their players.

Maybe 7.

The ass-chewing should be reserved for when the athlete
by Papa November  (2018-03-19 11:22:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

has repeatedly failed to learn the lesson on previous occasions, or refuses to understand the need to learn the lesson.

I dub this the Ass-chewing protocal
by SEE  (2018-03-19 12:16:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Or ACP

Yes, I acknowledged that.
by Bruno95  (2018-03-19 06:59:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don’t know what any of these coaches do behind the scenes. A well-placed chewing can be effective, if for no other reason than the environment is loud and there are so many people to deal with at once. But screaming at specific players and losing your cool is detrimental. I don’t think those outbursts are assets of Saban’s or Meyer’s.

Others can more intelligently speak to the use of yelling and stress in the military context, and how those tactics are balanced by the “leaders eat last” ethos.

not to mention that players tend to tune out
by jt  (2018-03-19 11:50:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the coaches that just constantly yell.

As to Saban/Meyer and their ripoff of stuff that Holtz used to do, I am sure that a lot of the the motivation in those programs comes from the idea that if you can't do it they'll just go get another Under Armour All American that can.

I think Belicheck does *
by jt  (2018-03-19 00:52:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Which category fits BK better in your opinion?
by miamioh_irishfan  (2018-03-18 22:58:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Occasional ass-chewer, or constant ass-chewer?

What about BK 2.0?

How many times have you seen purple face in 8 years?
by SEE  (2018-03-19 09:12:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Once a game? A few times a season?

this is all just a ripoff of something Holtz used to do *
by jt  (2018-03-19 00:53:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post