A question:
by randalgraves (2018-04-15 13:20:43)

In reply to: Lou S with the Kelly Notebook (link)  posted by SEE

I guess more of a rhetorical question, maybe.

Are the players we currently have on the roster best suited for the passing offense that is described in that notebook? It's really that simple.

Our QBs (while serviceable) are not marksmen and to my knowledge none of our WRs are downfield threats that would demand double coverage from a top tier defense.

Doesn't seem like spending 80% of the practice reps on passing is the best course for future success with this team. But what do I know, I don't have 28.13333 (repeating of course) years of coaching experience.

We spent 80 percent of practice time last year on the
by ACross  (2018-04-15 14:49:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Passing game. Same as every yeear

Here's a head coaching gem from last yrs spring game.
by cj  (2018-04-16 12:32:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"In our tempo, we were flipping the ball out to the side judge instead of the umpire, which is a savings of maybe two to three seconds. And so little things like that, where I can be on top of them and make those corrections immediately, so when a player gets up, he's not flipping it out to a side judge, so then he's got to take the ball back inside. You know, give it to the umpire, give it to the center judge. Just little things like that. Just trying to help them with nuances from play-to-play."

By year 10 we should be ready for Pop Warner...

but we're getting Wimbush and the wr's the reps they really
by jt  (2018-04-15 16:12:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

need.

that's good.

If practice Wimbush can become game Wimbush
by miamioh_irishfan  (2018-04-16 05:55:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We win 10, otherwise I told ya so.

Well, as with all things Kelly, there’s a good and bad
by SEE  (2018-04-15 13:43:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Our inability to execute on the passing game last year helped kill the running game. There’s a decent argument to focus on it more. But it also plays into Kelly’s passing proclivity. I actually think ND will have hard receivers to defend. Boykin, Claypool, KMet and Mack are big kids who are playing well. Young is our best speed threat. But it’s also likely that Kelly will see the passing game as the answer to everything.

“The reason that the safety doesn’t care about the screen is because Notre Dame never gave him a reason to. Wimbush struggled to get the ball to the perimeter accurately and quickly pretty much all season outside of the Michigan State game. That allowed the safety to sell out for the run.”

https://irishsportsdaily.com/s/6030/running-game-regression

"Likely that Kelly will see the passing game as the answer"
by garbageplate  (2018-04-15 15:50:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As jt might say, Air Kelly and all.

10 bucks says Wimbush throws his first 10 yard flat to a rb
by DomerJon  (2018-04-15 16:37:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

6 yards.

Football Outsiders has the ALEX stat to measure QBs
by G.K.Chesterton  (2018-04-15 22:36:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

who consistently throw short of the first-down marker. See their site for details. ALEX is an acronym that stands for something but it was intentionally named after Alex Smith, legendary for throwing short of the marker.

For those new to this metric, it is called Air Less EXpected, or ALEX for short. ALEX measures the average difference between how far a quarterback threw a pass (air yards) and how many yards he needed for a first down. If a quarterback throws a pass to a receiver 4 yards behind the line of scrimmage on third-and-13, then that would be -17 ALEX. The most meaningful ALEX numbers come on third and fourth down, when it's really crucial to get 100 percent of the need yards to extend the drive.

St. Brown would take that bet
by jt  (2018-04-15 18:54:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

he would say that it would go 5 yards over the rb's head

Let's not forget the third option.
by NDBass  (2018-04-15 20:49:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Rees might be coaching him the deadly art of the thrown fumble.

Please list the top five "goods"
by nd71  (2018-04-15 15:32:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Special credit for including wins vacated, under the bus wheel player tossings, etc.

There’s no top 5 on this. The good is that we’re giving
by SEE  (2018-04-15 16:09:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Wimbush and the wide receivers reps that they really need. That’s good. I also like the shift on the OL and Jafar to RB. You can’t have a passing game as putrid as ours was and win all year. The bad is that Kelly will see the passing game as a panacea and likely overload Wimbush.

No question he needs a lot of reps this spring.

Will Wimbush's issues be fixed with pass heavy 11 on 11
by nd71  (2018-04-16 09:11:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

practice sets? Hardly. There is no good here -- just more of the same old same old bad.

Wimbush needs drills, lots and lots of them, to correct his flaws. Past BK QBs lack of fundamentals after 3-4 years with BK support that. How's TR job training coming along?

Pass happy practices continue the BK's 9th year of producing soft teams.

Makes one pine for Davies.

Apparently the coaches think so (and do many observers)
by SEE  (2018-04-16 10:02:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Seems to have three problems: seeing the field, consistent footwork and not pulling his short throws.

Seems logical to practice those.

Seems logical to focus on the run
by BlarneyGreen  (2018-04-16 11:49:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Reinforcing failure is a stupid strategy. Our Qb has problems "seeing the field, consistent footwork, and not pulling his short throws."

Then nullify those weaknesses - make them irrelevant. Don't try and shore them up, a losing proposition at this level.

If all that remains true next year then the offense is
by SEE  (2018-04-16 13:18:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Fooked. If they don’t work on it now, than the ghost of football future is the tail end of last year or worse (without Adams, Nelson and McGlinchy.) We could work on the run game 100% and we’d be fooked if the passing game doesn’t improve.

yes, totally screwed if we don't become elite at passing
by jt  (2018-04-16 14:13:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the only way to open up the running game is by passing more.

It's elementary. Secret sauce. If you want to read more on it, just join one of the "+1 in the box" sites.

the same observers who think that the running game issues
by jt  (2018-04-16 11:23:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

are basically just due to being -1 in the box.

If he can't improve with drilling, then the practice time is
by nd71  (2018-04-16 10:30:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

wasted re footwork and pulling his throws -- especially so after this many years in Mr's 28 years of experience's system. That Wimbush is getting so many reps says that BK has made his choice this spring as to who his starter is.

WRT seeing the field, that is a system and coaching issue. Let's see, hmmm, has this ever been good for Kelly or Rees coached QBs?

Oh well . . .

I'm coaching a team right now with a similar situation
by ThreeD  (2018-04-16 10:24:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My #1 starting pitcher can't throw a curveball for a strike. He throws his 4-seam and sinker just fine, but the curve (and slider just aren't working.

I spend all of my time with the pitchers, pitching being what I'm known for, and 80% of my practices going over strikeouts via the curve. I can't understand why my ace can't figure out how to throw a damn curveball. Sometimes I get a little upset about it, I admit.

kelly has had 1 top 25 passing O at ND. '14 19 other
by cj  (2018-04-15 17:02:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

than that he has been #34 or worse with some real stinkers. Interestingly, the 2 most successful teams of his tenure '12 and '17 also had the worst passing stats of his ND career #72 and #103. He is a bona fide passing idiot. Vertical seams....what a joke...

No argument *
by SEE  (2018-04-15 17:34:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

No *
by Bruno95  (2018-04-15 15:27:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"Our inability to execute on the passing game last year
by jt  (2018-04-15 14:38:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

helped kill the running game."

OF COURSE! We focused TOO MUCH on the running game last year, so now we're focusing too much on the passing game this year to even it out.

It's pearls of wisdom like that which keep me returning to this site. The fact that you throw that out there with no evidence or reasoning to back it up is GENIUS. The only thing you're missing in your complete ripoff of the fanboy article is some GIF's to illustrate your point.

Knowing the players names is a wonderful start. *
by cj  (2018-04-15 14:17:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post