These people can’t control themselves
by BuckeyeJohn05 (2018-10-15 13:15:02)
Edited on 2018-10-15 13:55:03

In reply to: I cringed. *  posted by doolinbanjos

It is the same story everywhere. The powers feel the need to have their fingerprints on the gameday.

For instance, the OSU band has played Hang on Sloopy between the 3rd and 4rth quarter since the early 1960s. It was the same for 40 years and it was fine. Now, there is a whole PA announcement and video montage before they actually start playing like you are about to witness something mystical.

Does OSU provide official coolers for you to shit in?
by TAR  (2018-10-15 17:29:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Or do you still have to bring your own?

"Video board" and "mystical"
by ndtnguy  (2018-10-15 13:43:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What are 'words that don't go together,' Alex?

Yikes
by Catdog2  (2018-10-15 14:14:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I heard the beeping sound on TV too and thought it was from construction. That's embarrassing if they are actually playing that sound in the stadium.

It's like they go out and pluck the biggest dweebs on the planet to run these things.

When ND starts a "Sweet Caroline" tradition, I'm out.
by doolinbanjos  (2018-10-15 13:43:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

How many schools would you say have that now? I could even hear it in the background of the WVU/ISU game listening to the game on the radio on the way home from South Bend. I was thinking that even ISU shouldn't have to stoop that low.

It has been in the rotation for 2 or 3 years
by ND8486  (2018-10-15 17:49:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Band plays it not the jumbotron.
The students seem to like it.

I'm not a big fan.

I assume you mean as part of the half-time show?
by doolinbanjos  (2018-10-16 09:39:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Or a commercial break song (where they ask the players to vote)?

I don't mind that. That means it would happen once per year. That's different from making it a tradition, or a victory celebration.

Classic case.
by BuckeyeJohn05  (2018-10-15 13:48:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

OSU beat Michigan in 2016 in close hard fought game that went down to the final moments. The crowd rushed the field to celebrate. Rather than the students cheering and singing the fight song, the DJ cranked up Sweet Carolin to volume 100.

Talk about taking a dump on the moment.

I don’t know when things went so wrong.

This was also played after the OSU win over PSU last year. *
by tdiddy07  (2018-10-15 16:06:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post