It's also valid to vote based on an eye test of capability.
by JHND (2018-10-15 16:39:43)

In reply to: I don't get why any other metric would be valid  posted by Catdog2

It's more subjective and many of the voters in these types of polls don't even watch the games, but in theory it should be acceptable to watch two undefeated teams and judge that one has looked more impressive. I will acknowledge that Alabama's schedule has been exceptionally weak (the SEC West is hot garbage) but based on an eye test, it would be hard to rank anyone but Alabama number one.

I agree to a point....
by Catdog2  (2018-10-15 17:48:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

as a tie-breaker, the eye test seems fine. For example, if you have two 11-1 teams, and one of them lost the second game of the season because their starting qb got concussed and they just dominated everyone else, that would be reason to give them the nod- all else equal.

But I don't think the eye test really makes sense as a primary criteria. For example, if - in some crazy world- Alabama loses to Tennessee and drops another game, there is no way they should make the playoff. Even if they "look great" and would be favored by 2 touchdowns against everyone they play. At the end of it, all that should matter is who you beat and if you won.

Just because the Russians "looked better" than the US Ice Hockey team, doesn't mean they should get a chance to play for gold.