The "was the TE open on 4 and 1" question.
by LondonDomer (2018-10-15 17:02:08)
Edited on 2018-10-15 17:34:02

I was curious to look back and see if the TE came open on that 4th and 1 play. I hated the call, just to get that out of the way. But I looked at it -- and here's what I saw:

This first picture shows as Book starts looking down field. At this point, #89 (Wright) is open -- but Books eyes are locked on #82 (Weishar). Weishar is still just entering his route and is not yet an option to throw to.

At this point, Wright remains open -- but Books eyes are still downfield on Weishar. Weishar has tighter coverage, and there are two DL probably obscuring Book's vision. Would be a really hard throw without lofting it (which might end up getting picked). He definitely should've thrown the underneath route to Wright at this point -- but didn't.

Book is entering no man's land. His eyes are still locked on Weishar down field, who is now more tightly covered and has a safety coming to help. Wright is less open, but Book could maybe force a throw there. He is still not looking at him.

The window's have closed. Book has a DL in his face, there are two men on Weishar and Wright is now covered and out of room towards the sideline. We all know what happened next.

I'm not sure what's book primary read was. If it was Weishar downfield -- I would wonder why. If it was Wright -- he never even looked at him.

Either way, the call was terrible. I absolutely hate it. Anyways, just thought people might want to see.

Replies: