That would make the call even worse.
by The Oak (2018-10-15 17:23:29)

In reply to: The "was the TE open on 4 and 1" question.  posted by LondonDomer

Surely a receiver downfield was not the primary read on 4th and 1.

Isn't the whole point of play action on
by KeoughCharles05  (2018-10-15 17:27:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

3rd or 4th and short to catch the defense by surprise and spring a big play?

This is why I don't understand the desire for play action in this case. We didn't need a big play, or points, or anything beyond a first down.

It's simply to help create separation.
by tdiddy07  (2018-10-15 17:45:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's not appreciably different whether that separation is a scoring play that gains a couple of yards or a first down that gains a couple of yards. Play action is an effective play in that situation as long as there's a true running threat.

I would hope not. But it appear Book's eyes were locked
by LondonDomer  (2018-10-15 17:25:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

downfield.

Kelly was upset with Book after that series
by 96_ND  (2018-10-15 17:40:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It was after that series that some people commented that Kelly grabbed Book by the head or something. Watching it on tv it didn’t look bad to me.

From what I could tell Kelly was upset with him for not passing it short to the TE when he was open.

Even if Book missed the open short receiver it doesn’t excuse us for not being able to get the first down on a run between the tackles.

Now that's a surprise. Kelly Scooby Doo'ing a player
by ACross  (2018-10-15 18:52:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

After a shitty playcall gone wrong. Especially if the camera is on him. The point he is making: hey world, it's this motherf'er's fault. Not mine. Play would have worked, if not for this meddling kid.

I'll never understand why any parent would
by MDDomer  (2018-10-15 19:37:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

want their son playing for Kelly