ND’s 3 biggest wins.
by Irpa (2018-10-17 10:22:05)

In reply to: Does a 1 loss ND make the playoff?  posted by ndmdchgo

Michigan was playing with a new QB and a new scheme for that QB. ND played one good half of football. Stanford is not very good this year and ND played them at home. They should be a 3 loss team right now. VA Tech was playing with a backup QB who went 0-12 in his prior season as a starter. This same team lost to Old Dominion. ND underwhelmed in almost every other game. There is Alabama undefeated and then there is ND undefeated.

In any universe Brian Kelly will never defeat Nick Saban. *
by The Flash  (2018-10-17 13:19:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We should just forfeit the rest of the season and move on to
by ndnjlaw  (2018-10-17 12:42:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

basketball.

Sheesh, the negativity.

How should people respond
by HTownND  (2018-10-17 13:07:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

At this point?

You act as if it's irrational to have concerns about the team given the track record the past 8 and 20+ seasons.

It is certainly not irrational to have concerns.
by ndnjlaw  (2018-10-17 14:21:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I have been as disappointed as anyone over the travails of the team during the Kelly years (including witnessing in person the Alabama debacle in 2012.) Am I concerned that it could happen again this year ... absolutely.

But this stuff is supposed to be fun, and 7-0 is fun, and I just don't get why a fan should go out of his or her way to belittle our accomplishments and detract from what the team has done so far.

I refuse to feel guilty about enjoying this season and this team.

7-0
by HTownND  (2018-10-17 16:34:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Was fun when we regularly went 10-1 or 11-0 and were confident in that.

I'm not saying 7-0 sucks, and I'm not saying it isn't fun, but I'm just not as invested in a 7-0 start after the last 20 years.

For me, fun is national titles.

Maybe I'm like the guy who jumps off the Empire State Bldg.
by ndnjlaw  (2018-10-17 17:32:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As he passes by a 20th floor window someone asks how it's going and he replies so far so good. :)

And Alabama's 3 greatest wins?
by realmccoy  (2018-10-17 12:21:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Texas A&M (at home), Arkansas and Missouri. They are great, but have played absolutely no one.

If Alabama finishes 12-1
by HTownND  (2018-10-17 13:00:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That means they won the SEC and would have a bevy of very good wins, which would trump our 11-1

What if they finish 11-1?
by potatohouse  (2018-10-17 14:01:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Like last year? Obviously there is a lot in play, but assuming ND loses a close one to USC to finish 11-1, it would be interesting to see how the committee would go. And regardless of any espoused reasoning, if they chose Alabama over ND, (thereby punching them a second consecutive ticket to the playoff without having even made it to their own conference championship), it would be pretty close to signaling that Alabama is an annual auto-qualifier with less than two losses.

Michigan is a top ten team.
by Bruno95  (2018-10-17 10:52:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That’s a good win by any measure.

Not after this coming weekend. *
by KevinPS  (2018-10-17 15:17:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I agree regarding Michigan.
by irpa  (2018-10-17 12:41:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My point was that ND played them at the best time possible. I don’t think ND will get in with a loss because of their resume unless their are other upsets along the way. No matter, I think they will lose twice.

I bet Tebow’s rants “ND hasn’t played anybody” have ended
by 1NDGal  (2018-10-17 10:59:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

now. Criticizing Michigan is verboten until the tOSU game.

Tebow was hit in the head a few times too many. *
by The Flash  (2018-10-17 13:21:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Tebow is a virgin. *
by Bruno95  (2018-10-17 11:04:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't think the SEC East sees it that way. *
by potatohouse  (2018-10-17 11:46:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Neither does the AFC West
by captaineclectic  (2018-10-17 12:24:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Albeit for a different reason.

Exactly right. I think lists are in order. Feel free to add.
by potatohouse  (2018-10-17 12:48:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Things That Tebow Has Fucked
-SEC defenses
-The Pittsburgh Steelers
-Josh McDaniels
-Darren McFadden
-Prayer celebrations

Things That Have Fucked Tebow
-Pro cornerbacks
-Throwing mechanics
-The hairs that connect a mustache to a beard
-Pitchers who don't wait tables in the offseason

You forgot thousands of Filipino foreskins *
by elterrible  (2018-10-17 13:33:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Would explain a lot. *
by 1NDGal  (2018-10-17 11:31:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think you undersell the Irish
by Vairish84  (2018-10-17 10:49:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There is a lot of recency bias around the Pitt game. It is likely to be the aberration compared to Stanford and Va. Tech.

That said, it would have been nice to dominate as expected, but Narduzzi can coach defense, and it showed. They put a lot of things on the field that Book had not seen before, and it took time to adapt, but they did.

When you look at schedules, ND has played a much tougher schedule than Alabama. Other than Texas A&M, they have not played a team with a winning record yet (unless Missouri has one). Louisville is an historically bad dumpster fire with BVG in charge of the defense. Their other nonconference game to date is a buy game, and their last nonconference game is Citadel. They can't even schedule a top military school.

Yes, they will play Auburn (now a three loss team and fading- sounds like Stanford), LSU (pretty good, on a par with Michigan), Miss State (probably Va. Tech of the west -both are borderline Top 25 teams)and then Georgia or Florida in the SEC Championship game.

Alabama looks great, but they are dominating teams that they should be dominating. Nothing more than that. Pitt was the first game, post-QB switch, where the offense did not dominate the way it should have.

I want to get back to dominating. We have to play some games against teams that will be better than people give credit for, with the exception of USC who will be playing for the PAC12 championship, given the weakness of their division. With a win over Wisconsin, NW could play for the Big10 Championship.

If we win out and play Alabama in the play-off, we will do better than people think. We might even win.

I don't think it's recency bias.
by KeoughCharles05  (2018-10-17 11:05:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's confirmation bias. We've had a long history under Kelly of underperforming. We've done so in three games this year against crap teams (Vandy, BSU, Pitt).

The Michigan win is a great win no matter how you slice it. Stanford and Virginia Tech are both underwhelming but solid teams that we dominated. Wake Forest was a solid win against a crap opponent.

So, on the course of the season, with both quarterbacks, we've had solid wins, and crummy wins. I don't think people are just looking at the Pitt game and extrapolating that out. I think people are looking at the broad arc of the Kelly era, seeing consistencies this year with past Kelly versions, and expecting that the results (wins and losses) will start to match the performances (highly inconsistent).

Fortunately for us, our schedule is not that tough. It's possible that we could match poor performances against poor teams, and good performances against better teams the rest of the way and win out. It's also true that the remaining teams on our schedule might be better at football than Pitt, and could actually take advantage of an off-day at the office.

Notre Dame beat Michigan with its backup Qb
by dwjm3  (2018-10-17 10:24:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and running back...That simply isn’t a good way to analyze. Two people can play that game. If we are focused on quality of opponents Alabama hasn’t beat anybody worth a shit.

He has a point though
by Hanratty5ND  (2018-10-17 10:40:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ND hasn't really faced a good offense yet thru 7 games.

Lots of people are fellating the defense and Lea.

I will be curious to see how they look vs Syracuse.
That might be the only good offense they face all season.
And I'm not convinced they are uber talented either. They just appear better than all other ND opponents.

ND has lucked out facing many mediocre to bad offenses this year.

Disagree. I think Michigan's offense was good then, as its
by athlete37  (2018-10-17 11:10:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

strength is running he ball. Don't think anyone is going to have much success running the ball on our defense. As good as Love/Pride are, the key to beating us is by beating them

A lot of that is how college football is..
by dwjm3  (2018-10-17 10:54:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You will face a lot of bad teams over the course of a season. The amount of crap opponents you face is a large part why teams can go undefeated or have one loss. If the schedules were more balanced like the NFL you wouldn’t have multiple undefeated teams at this point of the season.

His point of trying to Pooh Pooh the Michigan win was awful. You can critique Kelly’s flaws without searching for goofy stuff. The Michigan win is a quality win plain and simple.