This is why it is critical ND beats Clemson.
by btd (2018-12-14 17:01:28)

In reply to: I'm a little forgiving toward fans under the age of 30.  posted by RallyingSon

We need to end the spiral of death and create at least one data point for anyone 30 or younger on WTF ND football really was, is now and should remain every single year under proper management.

Even if we follow that with a loss in the title game, winning a real game to get into the title game will go a long way toward changing the future arc of the program -- especially within the media.

Reality is anyone under age 40 doesn't know true ND football. They were 1-10 years old when Holtz had ND at it's peak and 8-10 years old is about the earliest age kids really remember well.

I agree.
by RallyingSon  (2018-12-14 18:00:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A lot of planets aligned this year. A ton of upper-class defensive talent. Many of the "name" opponents having down years, especially FSU and USC. The toughest road game being Northwestern. A quarterback that fits the kind of offense Kelly wants to run (and well-coached, to the credit of Kelly and Rees).

It would be a shame to let this opportunity go to waste. You never know how long it will take to get back.

And I actually think on paper Clemson is the best match-up we have had in a major bowl since Holtz. An arguable exception is Ohio State in Weis's first year. But I think there was a bigger talent disparity between those teams.

2005 issue was they had no defense
by btd  (2018-12-14 20:26:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There wasn't a talent gap for the starting units. If Weis had any kind of defense at all those first two teams would have been as good as any Holtz had.